No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sebha death toll put at 99 as town still waits for military reinforcements

byMichel Cousins
January 26, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Jamal Adel.

Tripoli, 26 January 2014:

The situation in Sebha is calm at present according to the head of the . . .[restrict]local council but no troops have arrived there. The death toll in communal clashes over the past fortnight is being put at 99, with 139 wounded.

Sebha Council leader Ayoub Alzaroug, told the Libya Herald today that situation was calm but tense as residents awaited the arrival of security forces. No troops had come from any part of the country so far, he said.

Yesterday, Sebha’s military commander, Mohammed Al-Busaify, also denied reports from LANA that forces had arrived in the strife-torn southern regional capital.

RELATED POSTS

Libya and Turkey discuss increasing flights, including to Sebha

NDA launches construction of Sebha’s Rose Palace Hotel – implemented by Turkey’s Nova Global company

According to the official spokesman for the General Chief of Staff, Ali Alshaikhi, forces – mainly Misratan – that are supposed to be deployed in Sebha were still in Jufra. The reason why they had not yet moved was “classified”, he told this paper today today.

The figure of 99 died and 139 wounded was confirmed by Sebha Central Hospital staff member Abdallah Owheda. He added that the children’s section remained closed due to the lack of specialist staff and the maternity section was facing a severe shortage of equipment.

The United Nations has meanwhile expressed concern about the number of people who have been forced to leave their homes in an around Sebha because of the clashed.  Its Humanitarian Coordinator in Libya, Georg Charpentier, said that hundreds of families had been displaced, causing an additional burden to those who had taken them in and to medical services in the region.

“Some relief assistance is being provided mainly by local and central authorities with support from the UN Agencies and other national and international humanitarian partners,” Charpentier said today. This included non-food items, food supplies, and medicines for hospitals. More would be delivered in the next 48 hours “accompanied by a UN team who will meet with representatives of the population, listen to their grievances and support the ongoing humanitarian efforts”.

As a result of the clashes, the UN said, the south was suffering from shortages of food supplies, medicine, fuel and money in the banks, and hospitals in Sebha, Obari and Murzuk were finding it difficult to treat all the casualties.

Charpentier called on all sides to end the violence and guarantee the protection of civilians as well as allow the unimpeded delivery of humanitarian support and ensure that assistance goes to all that need it. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaSebha

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Libyan Red Crescent sends medical supplies to Zahra hospital

Ajilat now quiet after "decisive" action by security forces

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.