No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Italian charity to supply humanitarian and medical aid to Fezzan

byMichel Cousins
June 19, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Italian charity to supply humanitarian and medical aid to Fezzan

italian foreign min usury undersecretary Vincenzo

By Moutaz Mathi.

Italian foreign ministry undersecretary Vincenzo Amendola (left, being handed copy of the agreement) meets with Fezzan representatives (Photo: Italian Foreign Ministry)
Italian foreign ministry undersecretary Vincenzo Amendola (left, being handed copy of the agreement) meets with Fezzan representatives (Photo: Italian Foreign Ministry)

Tripoli, 19 June 2016:

Backed by the Italian government, the Rome-based Sant’Egidio community is to send urgent medical and humanitarian aids to a number of towns in southern Libya. This was agreed at a meeting yesterday in Rome that included a number of politicians, tribal elders and social activists from Fezzan.

“The aid will be provided with the cooperation and supervision of the Presidency Council,” Hussein Al-Ansari, former member of General National Congress for Obari, told the Libya Herald. “Today’s meeting and agreement is an outcome of several previous meetings held with some Presidency Council members and the community,” he added.

He was referring to the community’s mediation in talks late last year between the Tebu and Tuareg communities which finally brought about a degree of peace between the two.

RELATED POSTS

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

Wafa Fezzan Initiative launches its first phase through installation of solar power systems on farms in Bawanees region

Sebha and neighbouring towns were in dire need of medicines, Ansari said, and it has been agreed to provide safe passage for them. The initial focus, he added, would be on areas most in need of aid.

As elsewhere in Libya, the south has suffered from shortages in all fields including long electricity cuts. The past three days have seen almost continuous blackouts in the south, in part resulting from transmission lines in the Brak Al-Shatti area being brought down.

The difference, however, is that the region’s problems have not made headlines. International attention has been focussed almost entirely on the privations in Tripoli and Benghazi.

As a result several activists have called for main city in Fezzan, Sebha, to be designated as a disaster area.

“The city suffers from long power cuts which sometimes lasting 48 hours, plus shortages of drinking water,” Mohamed Abdul Motaleb, from Sebha Central Hospital, told this paper. “The hospital, along with patients and equipment, cannot bear such a situation and we’re afraid that there will be a humanitarian disaster as a result,” he said.

“The agreement signed in Rome is yet another step towards the stabilisation of Libya,” said Italian Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs, Vincenzo Amendola, who met the Fezzan delegation along with representatives of the Sant’Egidio community at the foreign ministry.

The agreement, facilitated by the community, was another sign of Italy’s commitment to peace in Libya and to the Government of National Accord led by Faiez Serraj, he stressed.

As a result, emergency aid as well as children’s vaccination kits would be sent to hospitals in all Fezzan districts. He added that as part of the agreement, representatives of the ICRC, the Italian foreign ministry’s international cooperation office and various NGOs would be present in Fezzan to verify distribution.

The Italian government would continue to monitor the situation he stated, pointing out that Italy was already sending food aid and emergency medical supplies to Tripoli, Benghazi and Obari, Amendola said. “The unanimously-signed document leaves us hope that the road taken for the future of Libya is the right one.”

Tags: featuredFezzanItalyLibyaSant'Egidio

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Ghariani gives his blessing to Ajdabiya attack as two PC also indicate support

Ghariani gives his blessing to Ajdabiya attack as two PC also indicate support

New Benghazi militant unit issues Ajdabiya warning

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.