No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya’s first suicide bomber slays seven

byNigel Ash
December 22, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff

Tripoli and Benghazi, 22 December 2013:

In the first attack of its kind in Libya, seven people died and . . .[restrict]12 were injured when a suicide bomber in a truck hit a military checkpoint  at Bersis, 50 kilometres east of Benghazi early this morning.

“The incident took place at 1.30 am today” Benghazi Joint Security Room spokesman Ibrahim Shara, told the Libya Herald ” The suicide bomber blew himself up in Toyota Cruiser vehicle”.

One account of the attack has the suicide bomber ramming his vehicle into a checkpoint. Another is that he had parked some distance away and detonated his explosives when a soldiers went to check him. Civilians are reportedly among the dead and injured.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

The first use of a suicide bomber in Libya has caused widespread shock.

“What happened in Bersis  has only seen in Iraq and Afghanistan “ said Shara, “This was a critical and dangerous attack which is moving the country to a dangerous stage”.

He added that the security forces have began investigations into who was behind the attack. However, he added that  suicide attacks were difficult because so much evidence was destroyed in the explosion.   Poor quality TV footage showed the attack site when it had not been cordoned off.  Soldiers and civilians appeared to be moving at random among the wreckage.

This is not the first time that Bersis has been the scene of a terror attack. Following the capture last month of a group of Ansar Al-Sharia fighters near Bersis in a vehicle carrying weapons and explosives, there was a failed ambush on a convoy carrying the prisoners. Later, on 28 November,  three members of Mushat Al-Awal, the 1st Marines Battalion, were killed and seven injured in clashes in Bersis.

The commander of Saiqa Forces, Wanis Bukhamada, said at the time on television that the attackers were members of Ansar Al-Sharia.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Ansar Al-ShariaBenghaziBersisfirst suicide bomberLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
Three days of mourning for suicide bomber’s victims

Three days of mourning for suicide bomber's victims

Libya should join WTO says Islamic trade official

Top Stories

  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.