No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Foreign Ministry seized in Zeidan ouster call

byNigel Ash
January 9, 2014
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
Foreign Ministry seized in Zeidan ouster call

The main gates of the blockaded foreign ministry compound today (Photo Ahmed Elumami)

By Ahmed Elumami.

The main gates of the blockaded foreign ministry compound today (Photo Ahmed Elumami)
The main gates of the blockaded foreign ministry compound today (PhotoI Ahmed Elumami)

Tripoli, 29 December 2013:

A  group of protestors calling themselves the “Honourable People of Libya” has today seized the Foreign . . .[restrict]Ministry building demanding that the General National Congress pass a vote of no confidence in prime minister Ali Zeidan.

The protestors have given the Congress three days to act on their demands, which also include a call for tough measures to reopen oil ports and the full implementation of Law 27 and 53, requiring the removal of all armed militias from Tripoli and other Libyan towns and cities. They are also bemoaning the continued violence in the east of the country, particularly Benghazi, which they say the government has proved itself powerless to stop.

Further grievances include the failure of the authorities to publish the results of any investigation into the murders of former and serving police and military personnel in Benghazi.  The group also said that it was unhappy with the re-investigation of the Lockerbie bombing and feared that it would lead to the further “blackmail” of Libya.

RELATED POSTS

Recent legal opinion on foreign investment in Libya does not impose blanket ban in oil sector: Tumi Law Firm

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

It is not clear how many people are occupying the foreign ministry. The protestors have refused to speak to the media. However a small delegation came outside the ministry gates to read a statement setting out their demands. They then withdraw inside the compound. It is not believed that the occupiers are armed.

Reports that the Prime Minister’s office had also been blockaded were denied to the Libya Herald by Zeidan’s media office, who said that the information had come “from a fake FaceBook page”.  There are unconfirmed claims that the Post Office in Zawia Street and the Ministry of Justice have also been occupied by protestors. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredforeign ministry occupationGNCHonourable People of LibyaLibyaMinistry of Justicevote of no confidence

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

More murderous attacks in Benghazi

Striking oil guards “will cut gas” if wages are not paid

Striking oil guards "will cut gas" if wages are not paid

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.