No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

End in sight for Tripoli petrol crisis

byCallum Paton
December 16, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Houda Mzioudet and Ahmed Elumami.

Tripoli, 15 December 2013: 

Despite some sporadic attacks and outbursts of aggression at service stations in Tripoli today, . . .[restrict]the petrol crisis was visibly lessening, with all of them open and queues starting to shorten.

Twenty-three people have been arrested in the capital and referred to the prosecutor for vandalising petrol pumps. The Tripoli Security Directorate has also reported yesterday  that someone threw a hand grenade into one petrol station but it did not explode.

Mohammed Swesi, spokesman for the directorate,  told the Libya Herald that police and the army now had full control over petrol forecourts in the capital. Anyone who had broken the law, he added, was being processed and security forces were managing queues to avoid violence.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Interior Ministry: We thwarted attempted rocket attack on UN Mission’s Tripoli headquarters

460 fake petrol stations closed – for involvement in creating the petrol crisis and in fuel smuggling

Swesi emphasised that incident with the grenade was “quickly rectified”.   

The sight of armoured vehicles parked outside the stations and detachments of armed troops patrolling the forecourts appeared to have a calming effect on the public.  In some places, such as Zawiat Al-Dahmani, the entire road outside the petrol station had been blocked off to all traffic except those waiting to fill up.

Speaking yesterday, the Deputy Minister of Interior, Bahloul Al-Sayed, told reporters that three petrol station owners had been arrested for refusing to open their stations.

Swesi, however, indicated that the owners may not have let their petrol reservoirs be filled “because they may be scared of acts of vandalism”.

Congestion has been reported in Zawia, Sorman and Sabratha as drivers from Tripoli have travelled to the towns to refill their cars. This pressure is expected to recede in the next 24 hours as the situation in the capital returns to normal.

Meanwhile, the General National Congress announced that it was suspending its agenda today to discuss the security situation and the petrol crisis and the reasons that led to it.

Congress spokesman Omar Hemidan claimed that the mass queues at petrol stations in Tripoli were engineered deliberately “to create chaos and lack of confidence in the government and the Ministry of Oil and Gas”.

The government was winning, however.

“We reviewed what was done by the government and from my point of view I think that it’s done a good job,” a member of national security congressional committee, Abdulmonem Al-Yaser, told the Libya Herald.

In addition, Yaser said, all  the relevant authorities and citizens should cooperate with the army and its commitment to discipline until the fuel crisis was over.

 

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaMinistry of Interiorpetrolpetrol crisisTripoli

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Students in critical condition after bus crash in the east

Students in critical condition after bus crash in the east

Ghariani calls for national unity

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.