No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Iraq protests Khalf “murder” but spares Libyan killer

byNigel Ash
November 30, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Hamid Khalf kidnapped in Derna today
Hamid Khalf whom Iraq believes was murdered in Derna

Tripoli, 29 November 2013:

The Libyan government has been told by the Iraqi authorities that execution of a fourth . . .[restrict]Libyan convicted of murdering Iraqis has been halted, Libyan news agency LANA reported today.

Today also saw the Libyan ambassador in Baghdad called in by the Iraqi foreign ministry to protest the apparent killing on Iraqi lecturer, Hamid Khalf, who was abducted in Derna a week ago. A video was posted showing Khalf identifying himself  followed by the execution of a hooded man sitting in a shallow grave. The Libyan foreign ministry later said that experts did not believe that the scene showing the killing was actually of Khalf’s murder.

The video said that Khalf was being executed in retaliation for the hanging of Libyan Adel Zuwai on 7 November.  News of this only broke ten days ago.  It came as a surprise to the NGO Libyan Prisoners Abroad, whose Taha Shakshuki explained to the Libya Herald that his organisation had been told that the next Libyan to die was a man called Abdulsatar Shalmani.

RELATED POSTS

77 wanted for murder within Tripoli between 2011 and 2024 arrested

Eastern Libyan government engages Turkish company to assess safety of dams

The LANA statement said today that the Iraqi government had told Libya that the execution of Libyan citizen “Adel Al-Shalali” had been halted on the orders of the Supreme Judicial Council. It added that the Libyan government had thanked its Iraqi counterpart.

The Iraqi comment on the calling in of Libya’s ambassador in Baghdad said: “The Ministry of Foreign Affairs … strongly condemns this terrorist act abroad which is far removed from humanity and Islamic norms.” However, it is reported by Reuters that it went on to say that Iraq did not believe that the Derna killing reflected the position of the Libyan government or people.

Iraq has asked Tripoli to track down the professor’s killers and prosecute people “who are trying to disturb the friendly relations between the two brotherly countries”.

  [/restrict]

Tags: ambassadorDernaHamid KhalfIraqLibyaMurderprotest

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Death toll mounts in Sebha ammo blast

Death toll mounts in Sebha ammo blast

Medicines caught up in Tebu protest road block

Medicines caught up in Tebu protest road block

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.