No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Zeidan meets Ruqaii’s family

byMichel Cousins
October 11, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ahmed Elumami.

Tripoli, 9 October 2013:

The wife and family of Nazih Ruqaii, who was seized in the capital’s Nufleen district on . . .[restrict]Saturday and is now being held by the Americans, met with the Prime Minister and Justice Minister this morning to press for his freedom.

Ali Zeidan told Ruqaii’s wife, Um Abdulrahaman, that the government would do everything to ensure that Ruqaii’s legal rights were protected and had already taken a series of measures relating to the abduction.

For his part, Justice Minister Salah Marghani told to the family that the government was in contact with the US authorities to ensure Ruqaii’s legal rights and that he had access to lawyers. It had also been in contact with the International Red Cross. It was being asked to go and see the kidnapped man and ensure that he could phone his family at the earliest possible opportunity.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Tripoli Chamber discussing leading delegation to WOC show in Las Vegas, USA in January

Yesterday, Marghani said the Americans must return Ruqaii who, he said, was being held on a US navy ship in the Mediterranean and was scheduled to appear in a court in New York next week.

Speaking at a press conference, he said that he had met the American Ambassador, Deborah Jones, who had promised legal rights for the abductee as well as allowing him to be in contact with the Libyan government and the Libyan embassy in Washington.

Ruqaii was “very sick”, Marghani said, and the accusations against him required evidence. Whatever the case, no Libyan could be extradited or otherwise taken out of the country and tried abroad. It was against Libyan law. If there were a case against Ruqaii, it would have to be heard in a Libyan court.

As for kidnapping him, it was not only against Libyan law, it was against international law as well, Marghani stressed. Libya would pursue the matter through international courts, he declared.

That message had now been sent to the Americans, he said. Immediately following the abduction, which had happened without any prior notification from the US, Tripoli had told them that despite their great support for the Libyan people during the revolution, they did not have the right to kidnap Libyan citizens, whatever the circumstances. [/restrict]

Tags: Abu Anas Al-LibiLibyaRuqaiiUS

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Bomb disposal expert survives assassination attempt

CID officer shot dead in Derna

CID officer shot dead in Derna

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.