No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Failed coup a turning point for the better: Zeidan

byNigel Ash
October 12, 2013
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
Failed coup a turning point for the better: Zeidan

Libyans watched Zeidan on TV accuse opponents of political consiracy (Photo: Aimen Eljali)

By Ashraf Abdul Wahab and Ahmed Elumami.

Libyans watched Zeidan on TV accuse opponents of political consiracy (Photo: Aimen Eljali)
Libyans watched Zeidan on TV accuse opponents of political consiracy (Photo: Aimen Eljali)

Tripoli, 11 October 2013:

A clearly reinvigorated Prime Minister Ali Zeidan this evening delivered a  hour-long . . .[restrict]fighting speech on national television, in which he described his abduction as a ‘coup’, blamed GNC opponents for sabotaging the business of government, vowed firm action against his abductors and signalled an imminent crackdown.

“I urge Libyans to understand the consequences of us using force against those who hold government to ransom” he said in a television broadcast , “and not to blame us when it happens ….Yesterday’s events will be a turning point for my government and we’ll make sure it is for the better.”

Zeidan said that a crisis committee had been formed, which included revolutionaries and that delayed budgets for police and security were now being paid out from the Central Bank of Libya.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

He said that he and his administration had had enough of those who intimated them and frustrated the will of the Libyan people.

“The GNC is being intimidated by a dangerous loud minority,” said Zeidan, “who stop at nothing to pass their agendas…. Since the day I assumed office a group within the GNC has been doing nothing but work to oust me on no real grounds. This group wants to rule Libya on its own”.

Zeidan asserted that there had been concerted efforts to obstruct the formation of a new army and police force. He said: “I have been trying to avoid saying this, but I had to come out and speak because it’s becoming dangerous”.

He explained: “All my government’s plans to rebuild government institutions have been opposed and this group made sure that plans failed or never happened”. He cited delays from the Audit Office that had been holding up the training of thousands of soldiers in the UK.

Zeidan protested of the GNC:  “Laws that require changes to make the government’s work easy haven’t been changed or are being delayed, making our job impossible”. He continued that those who compromised security or national interest through their political activities were against the rebuilding of Libya.

Turning to the armed groups, that his government has long sought unsuccessfully to disband or incorporate within the police and army, Zeidan said: “I don’t hate the Thuwar or the Revolutionaries, but I will never give in to the pressure by these groups using their arms.

“Most revolutionary groups come to me for money or positions in government and if I don’t comply, they say ‘You serve Qaddafi men’s agendas’.…Everyday we have at least three protests at the government headquarters and they’re usually armed, asking for salaries”.

He said his government had been under immense pressure from such groups claiming ‘revolutionary legitimacy’.  That pressure currently included the kidnapping of the son of defence minister Abdullah Al-Thinni. This was another demonstration that the army and police were being opposed.

“Many of my ministers and deputies are revolutionaries who fought on the front lines,” he said, adding, “I pay my respects to the real Thuwar, who aren’t greedy or after money or power and just worked and continue to work for Libya ….We won’t give up Libya to those groups who want to claim the country their own. We won’t allow that to happen”.

When speaking of his own kidnapping, Zeidan said:  “My abduction is a huge crime with so many sides to it, from lying to falsifying government documents and abducting the head of the government”.

He said that one hundred armed vehicles had driven up to the Corinthia Hotel where he was staying.

“This number of armed men and vehicles would never happen without being pre-organised. This was nothing less than a coup. The armed group claimed to have an arrest warrant and terrorised hotel staff and guests. Armed men forced their way into my room and demanded that I go with them. They stole all my personal belongings, including my clothes”.

Zeidan said that his political opponents had been behind his abduction, intent on forcing him to resign after they had failed to unseat him by forcing a vote of confidence in the GNC.

It was here that the prime minister made a point of refuting reports that, when GNC president Nuri Abu Sahmain had visited him where he was detained, the GNC leader had asked him to resign.  Rather, said Zeidan, “ the head of the GNC has been very helpful and tries his best to help me out, but there are others who oppose any progress”.

The kidnappers advanced the Tripoli kidnapping last Sunday of Nazih Ruqaii (alias Abu Anas Al-Libi) by US special forces, as the grounds for their seizure of the prime minister, saying that he had had a part in it.

“My government didn’t know about the US operation” averred Zeidan, “and we condemn the US’s action in Tripoli and we’ll ensure Al-Libi’s rights are protected. We’ll give our full support to Al-Libi and his family and help them in all ways possible. We all want justice and we’ll ensure that al-Libi gets justice.”

Of his own abduction, Zeidan said that he had been told by his kidnappers that they came from all parts of the country except Zintan. He also said that he understood: “One of the people who was asked to help with my kidnapping refused and now he has been kidnapped and  his whereabouts  are unknown”. He said that prosecutions were being prepared against all involved in his seizure.

Zeidan thanked the Libyan people, singling out the locals in Fornaj who reportedly surrounded the building where he was being held, forcing the kidnapers to hand him over. [/restrict]

Tags: coupfeaturedLibyaturning pointZeidan

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Banks open Saturday, Sunday, Monday

More open government in Libya would improve trust and democracy?

More open government in Libya would improve trust and democracy?

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.