No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Russian diplomats quit for Moscow after Tripoli embassy attack

bythomwestcott
October 4, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Russian diplomats quit for Moscow after Tripoli embassy attack

Russia's Tripoli embassy before the attack

By Ashraf Abdul Wahab.

Russia's Tripoli embassy before the attack
Russia’s Tripoli embassy before the attack

Tripoli, 3 October 2013:

Following Wednesday’s assault on the Russia’s Tripoli embassy in which the Tripoli Security Room says . . .[restrict]two attackers were killed, Moscow has evacuated all staff and families to Moscow via Tunisia, leaving only a skeleton team in Tunis to represent the country’s interests.

Russian sources say that diplomats had reportedly sheltered in safe rooms when the embassy in Dahra came under attack early on Wednesday evening, from militiamen linked to Suq Al-Jumah.

Reports from Moscow  have suggested that the assault was launched by ten men in two cars . However, eye witnesses say that there were approaching 100 assailants, who after attacking and torching an embassy car outside the compound then scaled the wire-protected walls and got inside of the area.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli based Libyan PM Aldabaiba takes part in Q&A as part of Tripoli Media Days – talks about Russia, corruption, El-Kaber, Bengdara and elections

Facilities Security Authority meets Russian and Italian ambassadors – discusses training and provision of security to returning companies

Within the compound an Audi was also blown up, possibly with a gelatina. Some property was looted from buildings and a Russian flag was torn down.

Russian sources say that embassy security guards “along with one of the pro-government militias, managed to force the attackers out”.

The Russians have said  that only one attacker was killed and four were injured. The Tripoli Control Room says two Libyans died and one man was shot in the hand, while the Tripoli Security Directorate today denied to the Libya Herald that there had been any deaths at all.

One eye-witness told this newspaper that the scene “was chaotic and out of control”. He added that although initially, the attackers appeared to be unarmed,  weapons later appeared and were fired in the air.

The Tripoli Security Room said today that units were immediately sent to the area, though this newspaper’s informant said he saw no sign of them.

Foreign ministry sources in Russia reported that Libyan foreign minister  Mohamed Abdulaziz visited the embassy early today. He is said to have recommended that Russian diplomats should leave, because local security forces were unable to protect from further attacks.  It was not possible this evening to contact the foreign ministry to confirm this statement.  According to Moscow reports, Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov also received an assurance from Abdulaziz that Libya would act to protect Russian embassy property.

The attack has been linked to the murder of a militia leader in Suq Al-Jumah. He was shot seven times in his home with his own Kalashnikov, allegedly by a Russian woman. His mother, who was in the house at the time, was also attacked and stabbed in the shoulder and the hand. She is understood to be in a stable condition in a Tripoli hospital.

Reports have been circulating that the man was targeted for opposing Qaddafi during the revolution. However, a neighbour told the Libya Herald that the Russian woman was, in fact, the victim’s wife.

He said the pair married in Russia while while the man was studying for five years at the Suvorov military academy. After returning to Libya, the neighbour said,the militia leader told his wife that his mother refused to accept her as a daughter-in-law. The Russian woman, described as blonde-haired and blue-eyed, then came to Libya, allegedly entering the country on a journalist’s visa.

The woman was apprehended near the scene of the crime. Security sources have confirmed to the Libya Herald that she is being held in a prison facility in Mitiga, pending further investigations. The source added that she was being treated well.

Tonight there was continued police presence at outside the Russian Embassy. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaRussiaRussian embassy attack

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Authorities must act on attacks on journalists, says RWB

Authorities must act on attacks on journalists, says RWB

Foreign Minister denies Russian diplomats were advised to quit Libya

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Airports Authority and Civil Aviation Authority review visual presentation by Spanish company Indra on Modern Aviation Technologies

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.