No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Migrants claim Libyan gunfire caused boat tragedy

bythomwestcott
October 14, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Migrants claim Libyan gunfire caused boat tragedy

By Tom Westcott.

Up to 50 people are believed to have died after the boat capsized (Photo: UNHCR)
Up to 50 people are believed to have died after the boat capsized (Photo: UNHCR)

Tripoli, 14 October 2013:

Survivors of a doomed migrant vessel which capsized on Friday leaving at least 34 . . .[restrict]people dead have claimed their boat was shot at by armed Libyans.

A Palestinian refugee told the BBC that, after the boat set sail on in the early hours of Friday morning, Libyans pursued the vessel firing shots in the air. When the vessel entered Italian waters, he said, they started shooting at the migrants.

They killed two of the skippers and a female migrant before opening fire on the vessel itself, the refugee said. Shots pierced the hull and the engine room, he said, causing the boat to take on water.

RELATED POSTS

Three million illegal immigrants in Libya, 75 % of whom are families, constitute ”settlement” which Libyans reject – illegally transfer US$ 7 billion annually: Interior Minister Trabelsi

IOM identifies 894,890 migrants in Libya from 45 nationalities in May-July 2025 reporting period – 18 percent up on 2024

Some 50 migrants are believed to have perished and there are 206 survivors.

The shots were reportedly fired by Libyans who “did not look official” and may have been militiamen, according to Maltese media sources. The Libyan Navy has strongly denied any suggestion that the Libyan coastguard were involved.

“We deny this completely,” Navy Spokesman Ayob Ghasem told the Libya Herald. “None of our boats were in that area at that time.”

The migrants were Syrian and Palestinian refugees who had reportedly paid between $1,000 and $4,000 dollars each to make the illegal crossing. One survivor said the deteriorating situation for refugees in Libya forced them to try to reach Europe. Libyan culture was very different to Syria’s, he said, saying that the situation was becoming worse.

In February this year, the UN refugee agency UNCHR said there were 4,716 Syrian refugees in Libya. Syrian community sources, however, estimated that the actual number was more than 110,000 refugees.

The head of one of Tripoli illegal immigration units, Abdul Razag Al-Gerjame, told the Libya Herald that thousands of Syrians entered illegally through the Egypt-Libya Emsaid border crossing. The illegal immigration department at the border simply could not cope with the number of people, he added. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaLibyan coastguardMaltamigrantsPalestineRefugeesSyria

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

More deaths in Benghazi

Militants die in Sirte munitions explosion

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.