No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Protest charges against pro-Qaddafi student “violation of human rights” says Amnesty International

byMichel Cousins
September 10, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tuesday, 10 September 2013:

Amnesty International has demanded the Libyan authorities drop charges immediately against a man for having participated  in protests . . .[restrict]in London on 28 June 2011 against military intervention in Libya.  It says the charges violate the right to freedom of expression and assembly.

Moad al-Hnesh is due in court in Zawia tomorrow charged with crimes against the state because of his activities in the United Kingdom during the 2011 revolution. If found guilty he could face a life sentence, the organisation  says.

“That a young man could face life in prison for expressing political opinions deemed unacceptable by those in power begs the question of whether Libya has changed since the Qaddafi era,” said Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui, Amnesty International’s Deputy Director for the Middle East and North Africa.

“Libya adopted a constitutional declaration that guarantees freedom of expression two years ago. But instead of repealing draconian legislation used by the former regime to imprison opponents of Qaddafi, the new authorities are abusing the very same laws to stifle dissent.”

RELATED POSTS

Libyan militias intensified suppression of dissent, attacks on civil society. Thousands arbitrarily detained, arrested for exercise of human rights: Amnesty International report

Eastern Libya authorities must lift restrictions on journalists: Amnesty International

“Expressing political views, however objectionable or at odds with the majority, is an essential human right which should not depend on who is in power.”

Hnesh has been charged under Article 178 of the Penal Code with publishing false information on the internal situation in Libya and participating in pro-Qaddafi demonstrations in London. The code criminalises the activities of Libyans abroad against the interests of the state and carries a life sentence. Amnesty adds he could face a further 15 years in jail under Article 195 for “publicly insulting the Libyan people” after describing Libya’s revolutionaries as “rats”. The organisation says the charges should be dropped.

The 34-year old engineer is further accused of threatening fellow Libyan students in Britain who opposed Qaddafi with detention upon their return to Libya. Amnesty has said that in this case “it is essential that his right to a fair trial is scrupulously respected to avoid any perception of political bias”.

He was arrested at the beginning of April last year after a group of Libyan students who had met him at university in Britain filed a complaint against him with the Zawia Military Council. His trial began on 30 May 2012. As with all other cases in Libya, it has been adjourned several times.

“The Libyan government should immediately amend or repeal all laws arbitrarily restricting freedom of expression. It must demonstrate that it has broken with the legacy of repression and impunity and is serious about upholding human rights,” Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui said. [/restrict]

Tags: Amnesty InternationalLibyaMoad al-Hnesh

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post
Massive car bomb explodes in downtown Benghazi

Massive car bomb explodes in downtown Benghazi

Don’t change government now says Council of Ulema

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.