No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Don’t change government now says Council of Ulema

byMichel Cousins
July 3, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Tripoli, 11 September 2013:

The Libyan League of Ulema has said that that the government of Prime Minister Ali Zeidan . . .[restrict]should not be sacked. In a statement sent to the Libya Herald, it says that removing the government now, when it and Congress have only five more months to run, would serve no benefit and could possible make matters worse.

Under the terms of the August 2011 Constitutional Declaration, the mandates of both government and Congress are supposed to expire at the end of February 2014.

Distancing itself from the Grand Mufti, Sheikh Sadek Al-Ghariani, who last week called for Congress to dismiss the government, and from the Muslim Brotherhood, which likewise wants it to go, the Council said that replacing it now would delay and possibly derail efforts at reform and reconstruction currently being undertaken. That, it added, could well mean that funds allocated for the various projects would be stolen.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The League’s support for the government is, however, limited. It has demanded that it and Congress give reasons for their “failure to carry out their assigned duties and explain who is behind this failure, who is preventing the activation of the army, police and the various security systems and who is hindering the transparency of the judicial system”.

The League said that while claiming to working in Libya’s best interests and for the benefit of ordinary Libyans, there were members of Congress and the government as well as various political parties that were busy pursuing their own personal agendas. They were looking to their own interests, not the country’s.

Congress and the government, the League said, must investigate its members and sack, and even prosecute, any who have been negligent or incompetent in the performance of their duties.

It also called on the authorities to look at the complaints of those blockading the oil terminals. “We urge the swift establishment of judicial committees to look into the requests of the protesters at the various oil ports and launch an investigation into the matter, in order to protect and safeguard the Libyan people’s income from being tempered with or being looted,” the statement read.

It also demanded that Congress and the government track down and bring to justice anyone involved in killing innocent people in Libya, both during the revolution and since.

The League of Ulema was created last year from the Network of Free Ulema, itself established immediately after the revolution.  It comprises some 250-300 scholars from the Maliki School of Islam — the mainstream school in Libya – as well as some Ibadis. They say they have been marginalised by the Dar Al-Ifta run by the Grand Mufti. [/restrict]

Tags: Ali ZeidanGeneral National CongressLeague of UlemaLibyaSheikh Sadeq Al-Ghariani

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post

Seven bodies found in Bani Walid grave

This is the birth of the new Libyan army - Zeidan

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.