No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Gangs target embassy vehicles

byMichel Cousins
September 2, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Houda Mzioudet and Mariam Muttawa.

Tripoli, 2 September 2013:

The Egyptian Consul in Tripoli was victim of a car-jacking today when an . . .[restrict]armed gang forced him out of his car and stole it. He was reportedly slightly injured in the incident and required hospital attention but was released shortly afterwards.

Security forces later found the car in the Kashlaf area, near Sports City in Tripoli.

The Egyptian Embassy would not comment on the attack despite numerous calls from the Libya Herald.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Last week it was reported that a group attempted to steal the car of the Egyptian Deputy Consul and broke the glass of a side door whilst it was parked outside a hotel in Tripoli.

There has been a number of diplomatic car-jackings in recent weeks, mainly because armoured embassy vehicles have become highly sought after among criminal gangs.

Last week, a Chinese diplomat was shot at by thieves who stole his car.  He was unharmed.

Accompanied by his wife, Eskander Xiao was followed by a car when driving back to his house driving his car back to their home in the Siyahiya district, west of Tripoli. The two assailants forced their way into the house, he told the Libya Herald and ordered him to hand over the car keys. He initially resisted but one of the assailants fired shots with a rifle, took the car and ran away.

“One of the attackers was a masked man. Both assailants were following me when I was driving home,” Xiao explained. He contacted the General Directorate for the Protection of Diplomatic Missions, part of the Interior Ministry, which sent security forces to chase the thieves.

After two hours, the car was found in Sarraj, further west of Tripoli.

“We would like to extend our deepest thanks and gratitude to the Libyan Ministry of Interior’s General Directorate for the Protection of Diplomatic Missions as well as the interim government for their efforts in protecting foreign diplomats in Libya,” Xiao added.

He disclosed that the Chinese embassy was considering asking the Libyan government to provide security at the homes of those who work at China’s cultural and commercial offices in Tripoli.

“We wish that there will be consultation between the Libyan authorities and the Chinese embassy about providing security for all Chinese diplomats’ residences. Our mission is to reinforce Chinese-Libyan bilateral relations,” he stressed.

The Chinese embassy in Libya, he said, reserved the right to lodge a criminal lawsuit against the assailants. “But only when the security situation improves,” he added.

In the middle of last month the members of an official Italian training mission were attacked at their house and their two armoured 4×4 vehicles stolen along with other belongings. They were traced to Ghariyan and recovered.

There have been other thefts.

Mariam Muttawa is an intern with the Libya Herald

 

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: embassiesLibyatheft

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Libya and Malta agree oil deal; will collaborate on exploration

Libya and Malta agree oil deal; will collaborate on exploration

Italian technical delegation heading to Tripoli

Italian technical delegation heading to Tripoli

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benina Airport installs first-ever ILS/DME Navigational Aids System by Spain’s Sky Navigation Systems

Sirte Oil Company completes drilling of horizontal well C345H in the Ziltan field with production rate of 2,000 barrels per day

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.