No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Mohammed Busidra to join GNC next week

byNigel Ash
August 31, 2013
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Umar Khan.

Mohammed Busidra set to be sworn in next week to replace former Benghazi congressman, Abdelmomem Al-Waheyshi (Photo: Facebook)

 

Tripoli, 30 August 2013:

Mohammed Busidra will be sworn into the General National Congress (GNC) as an independent member for . . .[restrict]Benghazi early next week, pending formal approval from GNC head Nuri Abu Sahmain.

He will replace Abdelmonem Al-Waheyshi, who resigned after losing in the elections for the head of the GNC to Abu Sahmain. Busidra joins the GNC on the basis that he won the next highest number of votes in the list of Benghazi independents in the 2012 elections after the leading nine were chosen as Congress members.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

Originally from Beida, Busidra was a political prisoner for 21 years. After the revolution, worked as a consultant to the head of the National Transitional Council, Mustafa Abdul Jalil.

Busidra told the Libya Herald that he does not intend to be part of any bloc in the GNC: “I would support resolutions from any bloc if they are in the national interest. One day I might support the National Forces Alliance (NFA) and the Justice and Construction Party (J&C) the next day – and the day after it might be Martyrs bloc.”

Asked about a controversial Friday sermon he recently gave in Benghazi, Busidra said that he was invited by Ministry of Islamic Affairs officials to deliver the sermon to calm things down and that he tried to tackle sensitive issues.

“I was in Beida when I was asked to deliver the sermon and I accepted it. It’s a national duty to me,”  Busidra said, “I condemned both the attack on Libya Shield and the killings. It is forbidden to spill human blood for no reason.” He said that Prime Minister Ali Zeidan should have made a public statement about Libya Shield, saying: “If he needs them, then he should defend them too.”

Busidra accused opposition groups of running a smear campaign against him, because of his religious and political work.

“Federalists and secularists tried to use that Friday sermon against me and succeeded in putting hatred in the hearts of many against me. But they have failed to stop me from the religious and political activities. I consider this work national duty,” he said.

Busidra added that federalists tried to pin the blame on him after several offices were attacked, but denied any involvement. “Those who attacked these offices are from certain areas known to Benghazi residents,” he said, “most of them don’t even pray and yet they (the Federalists) said it was because of my sermon.”

Busidra said that part of a television interview where he appeared to say say he had sat with those involved in the killings of military officials in Benghazi had been taken out of context.

“The recordings are available from that interview,”  he said. “I said that I have met with Islamists that you call ‘extremists’ and I think we only need to do four things to include them in the process.”

These, Busidra said, were to have Sharia Law as the main source of legislation, implement the Political Isolation Law, cleanse the Judiciary from corrupt judges and put military officers involved in the killing of Libyans on trial.

“This statement was read out of context and spread heavily as part of smear campaign against me,” he told the Libya Herald. “Personally, I warned the Islamists that if they continued to create disturbances then many people would blame them –  and those who can conduct drone attacks in Waziristan would use them in the Jebel Akhdar too,” he added.

Speaking about the recent killing of Abdul Salaam Mesmari, Busidra said that he had been outspoken but was a nationalist who loved Libya. “He was very aggressive in speech but at heart it was purely out of love for Libya,” he said. “I think the night before he was killed he spoke very angrily about the Ikhwan (Muslim Brotherhood) and the very next day he was killed. It seemed like a deliberate attempt to frame them for the killing.” He added that the killer would have to answer on the Judgment Day.

Busidra said that the investigations into the spate of killings in Benghazi were incomplete and that this appeared to reflect badly on those responsible for the investigations. “These are very important cases and results of investigations would give a lot of answers to many people that accuse the Islamists of being behind these killings,” he said. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziGNCLibyaMohummed Busidra

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Egyptian PM calls on Libya to clamp down on border arms smuggling

Funding deficit to halt clearance of unsafe Misrata ammunition stores

Funding deficit to halt clearance of unsafe Misrata ammunition stores

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.