No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ambassador rejects attack by Filipino workers’ union

byMichel Cousins
August 29, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Houda Mzioudet.

Tripoli, 29 August, 2013:

The Filipino ambassador in Libya, Oscar G. Orsine, has refuted accusations from a Filipino workers organisation, . . .[restrict]Overseas Filipinos Workers in Libya (OFWs), that he has not been looking after the interests of the Filipino community in the country.

“We don’t stoop to their level. We are suspicious of these people [the administrators of the OFWs Facebook page],” Orcine stated to the Libya Herald, xpressing astonishment at the allegations made against him and questioning the credibility of the accusers,

OFWs published a letter on their Facebook page which collected 16 signatures from reportedly different Filipino labour leaders in Libya accusing the ambassador of “incompetence and abuse of authority” while serving as the ambassador of the Philippines in Libya. It said that he had not provided “enough support to them to create a better atmosphere for OFWs in Libya when the community faced tough security challenges” in post-Qaddafi Libya.

RELATED POSTS

Benghazi Chamber of Commerce receives the Chargé d’affaires of the Philippine Embassy in Libya

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Sam Sung (a pseudonym for the Filipino who filed the complaint on Facebook) criticised the ambassador for “dividing the Filipino community in Libya” and of favouritism regarding the Philippines Community School in Tripoli. Sung claimed that he had received threats for his activism in the Filipino community in Libya.

Filipinos in Libya have rushed to the ambassador’s defence. Doris Battad, a Filipino nurse and a community leader in Benghazi, claimed that around 400 signatures in Benghazi and 600 signatures in Tripoli had been collected from the Filipino community to demonstrate solidarity with Orcine in face of the criticism against him from what Battad said were people “who do not represent the Filipino community in Libya.

Battad, who has been living in Libya for the last 20 years, told the Libya Herald that Orcine whose ambassadorship covers eight countries including Tunisia, Libya, and Mali, was not to be blamed for what some Filipino workers and migrants encounter in post-Qaddafi Libya.

“He has been appointed only a few months ago. The few people who complain about his performance have vested interests”, Battad explained.

Orcine did not visit the hospital where Battad works in Benghazi, the Children’s Hospital because it had not received any complaint from Filipino workers. Besides, there is high security at the hospital, Battad added.

“They cannot represent all Filipinos in Libya. They are exaggerating things,” she said of Orcine’s critics.

There are about 8,300 Filipino health workers in Libya, with over 4,000 working in Benghazi hospitals and clinics.

  [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaOFWsPhilippines

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Libya talks security with Tunisia

Military Prosecutor in Benghazi killed in car bomb attack

Military Prosecutor in Benghazi killed in car bomb attack

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.