No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

I have sacrificed my political future by being Prime Minister – Zeidan

bySami Zaptia
July 26, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli, 26 July 2013:

Prime Minister Ali Zeidan reiterated his belief that he has sacrificed his personal political future by . . .[restrict]taking up the post of Prime Minister during this difficult transitional period in Libya’s history.

Speaking at Wednesday’s press conference, flanked by his Ministers of Electricity, Interior and Justice, Zeidan said that “if people think that we are keen to remain in our positions, then they are wrong”.

“I will not gain politically in the future because anyone who takes this role will have no future”, he admitted, seemingly writing his political future off.

RELATED POSTS

Economy Minister Hwej discusses imposed peak time power cuts and higher tariffs with industry

Misrata fast track power station expected to enter service end of June

Zeidan had been reacting to a difficult week marred by three different explosions in Tripoli, Benghazi and Sirte and chronic electricity cuts in Tripoli.

Calls in the media, for example, and especially social media, had increased for the sacking of the Electricity Minister due to the power cuts. Others were questioning Zeidan’s ability to take Libya any further forward.

The three Tuesday bombings had also added to the negative atmosphere. The Benghazi bombing was of a police station ostensibly by the owners of the land upon which the station is built.

The bombing of the Sirte Courts complex was probably, according to the Minister of Interior, by convicts released by the Qaddafi regime wishing to avoid being returned to prison.

The mortar attack that hit an apartment block in downtown Tripoli was directed at the Corinthia hotel, according to the Interior Minister, and seemed an escalation of the violent attacks all over Libya.

It is not the first time that Zeidan has resorted to giving the impression that he does not crave power and that he stays in the Prime Minister’s job purely out of patriotism. This seems to be Zeidan’s defence mechanism whenever he feels his position threatened.

He has also said in the past that his weakness as Prime Minister and that of his government reflects the weakness of the GNC and the Libyan state as a whole.

Whilst there is much truth in that, nevertheless, it is not clear if his critics buy his logic. What Prime Minister Zeidan does not seem to understand is that in real politic sometimes parliament – the GNC – and the public want change for change’s sake.

If Zeidan’s government continues – or is perceived – to perform poorly and the public start to put pressure on the GNC, it does not take much to think that Zeidan might find himself the convenient sacrificial lamb.

Zeidan is no doubt to a great extent banking on the fact that choosing a new Prime Minister will not be easy. It will take much political head banging at the GNC between the factious political groupings, and then there is the matter of getting past the Political Isolation Law.

Nevertheless, some critics reject the implication in Zeidan’s argument that no other person could give the position a go and do any better because the state is weak. Some argue that another Prime Minister could come with a new fresh outlook at existing problems with the possibility of different solutions.

The point is, politically, a new face always brings new possibility and most importantly, new hope. Hope – something that critics are fast running out of under the seemingly stagnant Zeidan and his government. [/restrict]

Tags: explosionsGNCpoliticalpower cutsZeidan

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Updated: Tenders awarded for 48 projects to local companies

Updated: Tenders awarded for 48 projects to local companies

Ramadan art evenings: tonight and tomorrow

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.