No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Army chief criticises Zeidan for not building Libyan army

bythomwestcott
July 15, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Army chief criticises Zeidan for not building Libyan army

Acting Chief of Staff, Salem Dnaidi

By Ahmed Elumami and Houda Mzioudet.

The Libyan army is being held back by political partisanship and misdirected funds, says acting Chief of Staff, . . .[restrict]Salem Gnaidi

Tripoli, 14 July 2013:

Prime Minister Ali Zeidan has been criticised by acting Army Chief of Staff, Salem Gnaidi, for not making more efforts to build the Libyan army.

“The government of Ali Zeidan does not want a national army,” said Gnaidi, speaking yesterday on Libya Awalan TV station. He said that instead it was trying to build up a new body parallel to the army, called the National Guard.

The government, however, last week repealed a resolution made a month ago to set up a National Guard. It is expected that the General National Congress (GNC) will make a new law to establish a similar security force.

RELATED POSTS

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

Chief of Staff of Libyan Army Al-Namroush discusses supporting pilot training, improving the Air College and developing Naval forces

“I have been asked by Ziedan,” Gnaidi said, “not to interfere in establishing the National Guard.” He suggested that the National Guard was the same as Qaddafi’s former Revolutionary Guard, but added that he thought the name might be changed.

The solution for the Libyan Army, Gnaidi said, was for a high council of defence, which should be made up of patriotic Libyan soldiers without political partisanship. This was needed, he said, to get rid of regional and political allegiances which are currently holding back the army.

He said that some Libyan army officers are members of political parties and blocs. This, Gnaidi said, was another problem hindering the construction of the army, which must be impartial.

Gnaidi also said that the billions allocated to the building of the Libyan police and army are not going to military accounts. Rather, he said, some of the funds are going into “unknown personal accounts.”

Defence Committee member Jumaa Sayah told the Libya Herald, however, that Gnaidi should back up his claims with evidence, especially now that Libya is in “a sensitive situation.”

“In my opinion, Mr. Gnaidi is old, and he does not know what to say,” Sayah said. He added that Gnaidi did not have enough background to talk to the media. [/restrict]

Tags: Ali Zeidanchief of stafffeaturedGNCLibyaLibyan armyNational Guard

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

GECOL to support Ajilat families after electrical accident

Official government spokesman appointed

Official government spokesman appointed

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Julyana Free Port meet high-level British delegation visiting Benghazi

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.