No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Barghathi removed as Defence Minister

byNigel Ash
June 28, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Barghathi removed as Defence Minister

Mohammed Mahmoud Al-Bargati

By Ahmed Elumami

Mohammed Al-Barghathi

Tripoli, 27 June 2013:

Defence Minister Mohammed Barghathi, was today relieved of his duties by Prime Minister Ali Zeidan.

Barghathi’s departure . . .[restrict]comes after widespread dissatisfaction with his responses to the rising tide of violence and killings that has hit Benghazi, Sebha and now Tripoli.

The Prime Minister confirmed his decision during an interview this afternoon on Libya Alwataneya TV.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Zeidan also rounded on the acting Chief of Staff, Salem Gnaidi, for comments he made yesterday, that the army had been unable the intervene decisively in this week’s Tripoli clashes, as it did not have the means, because the government had given it insufficient funds.

This statement, said Zeidan, was political and inappropriate. He added: “Almost LD 7 billion were given to the Chief of Staff between the budgets of both 2012 and 2013, and the year is not over yet!” Zeidan went on to announce that a permanent chief of staff would  be would be appointed in the near future.

The Prime Minister said that GNC decision No. 27 of 2013, calling for the removal of all armed groups from Tripoli to the outside of the capital would be carried through, by force if necessary. In particular he called on the forces occupying the Yarmouk camp to evacuate the facility within the next five days or they would be made to go.

Zeidan  also said that a committee had been formed to investigate what had really happened in the Tripoli violence.

Jumaa Sayah, a member of the GNC defence committee told the Libya Herald: “We were not satisfied with the performance of the defence minister.” However, Sayah maintained that Zeidan had taken the decision to fire Barghathi himself, because of the recent upsurge in violence, which the army, along with militia units nominally under armed forces command, have been unable to contain.

There was however social media speculation that the final trigger in the 71 year-old Barghathi’s ouster was his claim that the Supreme Security Committee and security support forces were responsible for starting the recent violence in Tripoli. There were claims that the leaders from both forces had gone to see Zeidan to protest the comments.

Ironically, Barghathi had submitted his resignation in early May over the sieges of the Foreign and Justice Ministries but was persuaded by the Prime Minister to withdraw it.

  [/restrict]

Tags: defence miniisterfeaturedfiredLibyaSSCZeidan

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Afriqiyah adds extra UK flight

Libya’s young footballers make a great run in Mediterranean Games

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.