No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Zeidan promises more military aid for Benghazi

byMichel Cousins
June 17, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Ali Zeidan at the . . .[restrict]conference yesterday 

By Ahmed Elumami

Tripoli, 17 June 2013:

The Prime Minister, Ali Zeidan, held a security summit in Benghazi on Sunday aimed at boosting security in the city and support for army and police. In attendance were the Deputy Prime Minister Awad Al-Barasi, the Interior Minister Mohamed Al-Sheikh, a dozen Benghazi Congress members and the local council, as well as Mohamed Al-Shareef, the head of the Joint Security Room in Benghazi.

Stressing that he and the Interior Minister had been following events in the city from the beginning of the current crisis, Zeidan insisted that his government was strongly focused on the city’s needs following the attacks over the past 10 days. He announced that more military equipment would be delivered in a bid to increase security there. A number of armoured vehicles had arrived on Sunday, he said, and more vehicles as well as weapons, ammunition and body protection would be sent to support the work of the city’s Joint Security Room.

It coordinates the work of the army, the police and intelligence.

RELATED POSTS

LBC opens its Eastern Region branch at its new Benghazi location

Egypt Real Estate Exhibition launched in Benghazi

Congress members have been critical of the government’s handling of the situation since 31 people were killed nine days ago and many more wounded when protests against the presence of the First Libya Shield Brigade (Deraa 1) turned violent. Then two days ago, six soldiers were killed in a coordinated attack on army and security installations across Benghazi by as many as 200 gunmen whom some claim were linked to Deraa 1. Other reports blame Ansar Al-Sharia.

It would not be easy to disband the Sheild, Benghazi Congressman Ahmed Langhi told the Libya Herald following12-hour security session on Saturday involving the city’s Congress members, Barasi and members of Joint Security Room. It was a power in the land and had legitimacy, having been created by the General Staff. However, it had to be integrated into the army, not as a unit but by members transferring individually. “We do not want civilians as members of the military,” Langhi explained.

Responding to yesterday’s meeting and picking up on the widespread disappointment in the city that the Prime Minister had not been tough enough in his response to the crisis, Benghazi Congressman Alaeddin Mgariaf said that it was not enough. “The meeting, which was held in Benghazi yesterday is only moral support. But the government must take more effective measures,” he told the Libya Herald.

The government should move to Benghazi, Mgariaf added, and there put into action important areas of development such as health, the economy and security. He said that young men chose to join the Shield forces and military brigades because there was no another choice.

It has been reported that several dozen local young men tried to force their way into the meeting to air their demands to Zeidan about the lack of security and the town’s economic needs.

At his press conference in Benghazi, Zeidan called for people to be patient. The government, he said, still needed more time to have better results.

  [/restrict]

Tags: BenghazifeaturedLibyatea

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Malaysia's Protasco restarting its Libya projects end-June

Court finds Obeidi and Zway not guilty; Attorney General to appeal

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.