No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tripoli students postpone planned Monday strike over campus security

byNigel Ash
June 3, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Tripoli students postpone planned Monday strike over campus security

By Reem Tombokti.

Tripoli, 2 June 2013:

Tripoli University Students Union tonight . . .[restrict]said it is postponing a strike called for tomorrow to protest a collapse in security on the campus and the assault of a female engineering undergraduate.

News of the suspension of the action, published on the student union’s Facebook page, came in response to the government’s announcement earlier today that it was assigning a kateeba to be responsible for campus security.

RELATED POSTS

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

The students warned however that if university security does not improve within ten days, the strike will still go ahead.

The student leader at the engineering faculty, Hafeth El-Qabroon, told the Libya Herald that the last straw had been an assault of one of the students while she was waiting for her father to pick her up inside campus.  Faculty students picketed the Dean’s office to protest.

Qabroon said that the old university guards are not armed. They have been attacked on more than one occasion with light weapons. Since then only few of them are still doing their job. However, the Ministry of Interior had, for a brief period, provided the university with armed personnel to establish a sense of security for students and staff.

“The university is a part of a country where chaos is everywhere.” said Mohamed Naas, an electrical engineering student,  “It is expected that the university campuses are not secure.” He added that those behind most of the security breaches are people from inside the university.

Other undergraduates reported that some students “came to university carrying their pistols with them.”

“We are not satisfied with the security situation in our universities right now,” Mohamed Hasan Abu-Bakr, Minister of Higher Education, admitted to the Libya Herald last week. “We are trying to take all necessary measures to have more control over it. We contacted the Ministry of Interior more than once to provide guard for universities campuses all around Libya.”

“We tried to reactivate the previous university guards body, to put an end to these security threats, but they were not armed and given that there are many weapons on Libyan streets, the reactivation failed.”

Abu-Bakr continued: “So we are thinking of establishing a Universities’ Facilities Guard body, similar to that of the Petroleum Facilities Guard.”

At the time, the Minister also mentioned that his ministry might contact the Ministry of Defence to provide students with security at least around the outside gates of campuses.

Some students are likely to be relieved that the planned strike has been postponed for at least ten days. They had complained to the students union that the timing of the action clashed with their mid-term exams. [/restrict]

Tags: assaultfeaturedLibyasecuritystrikestudents unionTripoli university

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post
Police pay protestors fire on Interior Ministry

Police pay protestors fire on Interior Ministry

Hollande: No military intervention in Libya

Hollande: No military intervention in Libya

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.