No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sabratha celebrates return of stolen statue heads to museum

bythomwestcott
June 25, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Sabratha celebrates return of stolen statue heads to museum

The two stolen Roman statue heads returned to Sabratha (Photo: Ministry of Culture Facebook)

By Houda Mzioudet.

The stolen statue heads returned to Sabratha (Photo: Ministry of Culture Facebook)

Tripoli, 21 June, 2013:

A ceremony to celebrate the return of two stolen statue heads was held in the ancient city . . .[restrict]of Sabratha yesterday. The Minister of Culture, Habib Al-Amin, and chairman of the Department of Antiquities, Saleh Agab, both attended and representatives from the UN’s educational, scientific and culture organisation UNESCO – invited by the Local Council of Sabratha – were also present.

Officials from the local council and UNESCO gave awards to 25 former freedom fighters and civil society members, who successfully helped to catch the smugglers and return the stolen artefacts. Amongst the recovered items were the two statue heads taken in March this year from Sabratha’s classical museum. Both statues were damaged during the theft.

The head of the UNESCO office in Libya, Ludivico Folin-Calabi, told the Libya Herald that the event was well-timed, as UNESCO is currently working with the Department of Antiquities on: “A wide technical assistance programme for the protection of cultural heritage in Libya.”

RELATED POSTS

UNSMIL / UNESCO organise seminar for 17 Chief Prosecutors on use of modern technology in prosecution

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

UNESCO is committed to preventing and fighting the illicit trafficking of archaeological artefacts in Libya, in cooperation with international organisations including Interpol, Folin-Calabi said. He added that UNESCO had a strong commitment to cooperating with Libya on maintaining and protecting the country’s cultural sites.

Ten days ago, Libyan police – working in coordination with the First Infantry Battalion Libya Shield – arrested a network of smugglers believed to have been involved in the theft of these statue heads.

Sabratha, one of five UNESCO world heritage sites in Libya, has lost countless artefacts because of the inadequate security measures in place. Another statue head, that of Flavia Domitilla Minor, the daughter of Emperor Vespasian, was stolen from Sabratha in 1990 and only returned to Libya last year. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaSabrathastolen antiquitiesUNESCO

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Congressional Committee accuses Zeidan of ignoring Islamic Affairs Minister

ABB monitoring security after employees shot in suspected car-jacking attempt

ABB monitoring security after employees shot in suspected car-jacking attempt

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.