No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Militia attacks on journalists rising

byNigel Ash
June 12, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji

Tripoli, 11 June 2013:

The growing number of attacks, kidnappings . . .[restrict]and threats mounted by militiamen, against both local and foreign journalists, has brought sharp condemnation from the international pressure group Reporters Without Borders (RWB).

“Journalists have repeatedly been attacked, threatened or kidnapped by militias in recent months” said RWB in a statement today. “We urge the Libyan government to guarantee the safety of journalists and to control the behaviour of militias, operating under the command of the defence or interior ministries or integrated into other state entities, even if only on an ad hoc basis. Those responsible for abuses against journalists must be punished.”

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

RWB cited two recent instances of the militias’ growing hostility to the media, each of which involved a different, unnamed foreign journalist and a Libyan companion.

In the first incident on 28 May, it claimed that : “An international news agency photographer and local citizen-journalist Mohamed Abu Janah were arbitrarily detained for several hours at the Benghazi headquarters of “Libya Shield No. 7”

RWB said that the photographer had been “summoned” by one of the unit’s commanders to take shots of the HQ. However as both journalists left, they were seized by four militiamen and detained for four hours, during which they were interrogated, threatened and insulted.

Their release, said RWB only came after demonstrations outside the base, demanding they be freed. The pressure group added that the militia commanders had claimed that the two journalists had been trying to break into the HQ, which the pair insisted was completely untrue.

A day later, said RWB, this time in Tripoli, an American journalist and “ his Libyan fixer, Mohamed Essul,” were detained by a gunman in civilian clothes  outside the Interior Ministry, while covering a demonstration by militiamen for higher pay, which was also a protest the new appointment of Mohamed Khalifa Al-Sheikh to head the ministry.

“The two journalists were taken to the Al-Sad katiba (brigade), which claims to be responsible for the security of diplomatic missions” said RWB, “There they were interrogated at length about their activities and were promised an interview with the interior minister.  After several hours, they were taken to another katiba in the Fernaj district, where they were again questioned at length about their work. They were finally released after a total of six hours without being given any explanation or an interview with the minister.”

RWB said that these cases were only part of  growing militia aggression toward the media. It reminded the Libya government of its international and national obligations to protect the freedom of information, expression and opinion and it urged the authorities to protect all journalists working here.

 

It cautioned: “The development of free, independent, pluralist and transparent media is essential for the creation of democratic state in Libya.”

  [/restrict]

Tags: attackskidnappingsLibyaLibya Shield No 7reporters without bordersthreats

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post
Benghazi tragedy sidelines Congress presidency vote

Benghazi tragedy sidelines Congress presidency vote

Government to spend $588 million on US military transport planes

Government to spend $588 million on US military transport planes

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.