No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Grand Mufti condemns Sebha-bound convoy ambush

byNigel Ash
June 16, 2013
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

Ashraf Abdul Wahab.

Tripoli, 15 June 2013:

The Grand Mufti, Sheikh Sadeq Al-Ghariani has sharply condemned the deadly assault on a Libyan Shield . . .[restrict]convoy ferrying vehicles to its base in Sebha, in which its commanding officer was killed in an ambush, along with three of the attackers.

He said that what grieved his heart was that hardly a day went by without an attack in some part of the country, which was costing Libya innocent lives.

He also noted that according to a member of the ambushed Sebha-bound convoy, no one from the Chief of Staff’s office, nor from the Ministry of Defence had either  yet  denounced the attack, or even commented upon it, let alone pledged to launch an investigation.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

A militia group is being blamed for the  ambush which happened on Friday in Kira,  shortly after the formation had been delayed for two hours at a checkpoint in the town of Brak.

Ali Al-Abed from the Libyan Shield told the Associated Press that he believed the Zawia Martyrs’ Brigade had been responsible for the ambush. The Brak checkpoint had been manned by members of this militia who had demanded to see documentation. It is not yet clear whether the Libya Shield commander, Col Omar Salah complied or whether there was a tense stand-off.

Col Salah later died in the attack, giving rise to the suspicion that he may have been targeted because of his attitude to the militiamen during the long delay at the Brak checkpoint.  Three attackers were also killed when the Libyan Shield troops returned fire. Three wounded soldiers and an unreported number of the assailants were taken to Tripoli for treatment, while at least two bodies were delivered today to the morgue in Bani Walid. [/restrict]

Tags: ambushBrakKiraLibyaLibyan ShieldZawia Martyrs Brigade

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Local ICC man condemns any trial of Saif Al-Islam’s lawyers

Local ICC man condemns any trial of Saif Al-Islam's lawyers

Cabinet meets in Benghazi tomorrow

Cabinet meets in Benghazi tomorrow

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.