No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Victorious militiamen want Zeidan out

bythomwestcott
May 7, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Victorious militiamen want Zeidan out

Protestors marching on Sunday in support of the Political isolation Law

Protestors marching . . .[restrict]on Sunday in support of the Political isolation Law

By Umar Khan.

Tripoli, 6 May 2013:

Having tasted victory with the passing of the Political Isolation Law, militiamen who have been blockading ministries and protesting in favour of it for the last week are now concentrating on trying to remove Prime Minister Ali Zeidan from office.

The Political Isolation Law was passed yesterday by the General National Congress (GNC) after days of intense negotiations between different blocs within the GNC. Congress members voted overwhelmingly in favour of the final draft, which bars former regime figures from holding any leadership positions in state bodies and organisations for the next ten years.

Its approval was hailed by Wesam Bin Hameed, the chairman of  Supreme Revolutionaries Committee (SRC), as “an excellent moment in our revolution”. The SRC comprises 280 members from brigades all over Libya.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

However, a member of the committee that has been coordinating the sieges of the ministries to pressurise Congress into approving the law announced that only 70 percent of the demands had been met with its passing.

Executive officer of the SRC, Muhammed Shaaban, told the Libya Herald that the militiamen would only leave the ministries when Zeidan leaves office. “We will not leave the ministries until he [Zeidan] leaves or if the GNC assures us that he will leave within a month, as per the isolation law.”

He added that the GNC was given two demands by the militiamen. “We are protesting about the inclusion of Qaddafi remnants in the new system that is stopping Libya from progress. We only had two demands; one has been completed and now they only have to remove Zeidan.”

The removal of Zeidan’s government was one of the demands of the revolutionaries’ in their negotiations with it last week, but the main focus then was on the Political isolation Law.

Bin Hameed confirmed to the Libya Herald that negotiations had been taking place with government but there had been no breakthrough. “We told them [the government] we don’t want to negotiate. Prime Minister Zeidan has lost trust and we will not accept him. Our negotiations have broken down because this is our only demand.”

Yesterday an estimated three thousand demonstrators were present in Martyrs Square as the voting took place. They later marched towards the GNC building, four kilometres away. Protestors were carrying coffins with pictures of those who died for the revolution and shouted “The martyrs blood will not go in vain”. The numbers increased significantly en route to the GNC reaching around six thousand including 200 women and children.

The demonstrators then went back to Martyrs Square to celebrate the decision on isolation law where sweets were being distributed by the organisers.

There were calls by many the protestors for Zeidan to step down. Some believed, erroneously that the Isolation law would oblige him to do so.  But not all those celebrating the Isolation Law wanted him to go.  When a vehicle with anti-Zeidan stickers drove alongside the march, one demonstrator said: “I thought we were only here for the Political Isolation Law.”

  [/restrict]

Tags: Ali ZeidanfeaturedGeneral National CongressLibyaPolitical Isolation Law

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Opinion: The Zeidan government needs to improve its media output

Navy officer murdered in Benghazi

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.