No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

SSC gunmen threaten to release Jadaida Prison inmates

byMichel Cousins
April 4, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ashraf Abdul-Wahab.

Tripoli, 3 April 2013:

Gunmen who stormed Tripoli’s main Jadaida Prison on Monday evening and expelled the judicial police who . . .[restrict]were guarding it have threatened to release all the prisoners. The gunmen, said to be members of the Supreme Security Committee (SSC) forces, are believed to want the resignation of the Minister of Justice, Salah Al-Marghani.

The prison has been under the control of the Ministy of Justice. The attack is thought to be a response by some remaining members of the SSC, which is being dissolved, to a number of recent statements by Marghani demanding that prisons still controlled by armed militias be handed over to his ministry and also warning armed groups that they would be pursued and brought to trial if  involved in kidnapping, torture and murder.

On Sunday morning, the Ministry of Justice was stormed by a group of SSC  members said to be in charge of the prison at Metiga airbase. They forced Marghani and staff out of the building.

RELATED POSTS

The first Libyan Bosnian Business Forum held in Misrata deemed an economic turning point between the two countries

Libyan – Bosnian Business Forum – to be held from 29 to 30 March in Misrata

When the ministry was attacked, armed units were sent in by the government.  However, there appears to be no military response so far to the prison takeover.

It is not known if the two attacks involved the same SSC people or if the second was a copy-cat attack.

Latter on Sunday, Marghani told Libya TV that an enquiry was being set up to into the deaths of 23 people from Bani Walid whose bodies had been transferred to Tripoli last Wednesday for forensic investigation. It is alleged that the 23 had been abducted from Bani Walid and taken to Misrata.

Marghani said that the decision to have the bodies taken to Tripoli for investigation had been made after talks with officials in Bani Walid and Misrata and with the approval of the Defense Minister and the chief military prosecutor. If it were shown that they had been tortured and murdered, those responsible would be arrested and put on trial, he said.

The facts on what had happened had to come out, he insisted. Members of Congress were demanding an investigation. “The government’s and the GNC’s position is clear. We will speak out the truth whatever it turns out to be. We are not afraid of anyone,” Marghani has been quoted as saying

Officials in Bani Walid had threatened retaliation against Misrata if there were no action by the authorities. Congress was monitoring the case, Marghani said, a group Congress members were in constant contact with Bani-Walid and Misrata to contain the situation.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Bani WalidLibyaMinistry of JusticeMisrataSSCTripoli

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Explosion at Brega-Benghazi gas pipeline

UK Security Minister in talks with head of Libyan navy

UK Security Minister in talks with head of Libyan navy

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.