No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Westerners urged to leave Benghazi over “imminent terror threat”

byNigel Ash
January 24, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, 24 January 2013:

European and North American embassies today warned their nationals in Benghazi to leave the city immediately because of . . .[restrict]a “specific threat to Westerners”.

The British Foreign Office declined to give any further details. However other security sources are saying there is firm evidence that an attack is imminent on a Libyan oilfield, in a repeat of the In Almenas assault in Algeria.

During that incident, Prime Minister Ali Zeidan asserted that the GNC “is serious in protecting our petroleum installations.” He added that if oil workers were abducted in Libya, the government “would deal with it.”

The country’s Petroleum Faculty Guard (PFG) reported that it was boosting security at oil facilities in the west and south of the country.   In an 18 January posting on its Facebook page it announced: “The formation of a special operations room, including military air support and increasing guards, military personal and intensifying security patrols inside and out the sites around the clock, to block any attempt from any who wish to compromise public property.”

RELATED POSTS

LBC opens its Eastern Region branch at its new Benghazi location

Egypt Real Estate Exhibition launched in Benghazi

It added: “There is no record of any violations or attempts and work in all sites and faculties is normal”.

It is unclear how many Westerners are still  located in the Benghazi area.  There was a definite  exodus after the murder of US ambassador Chris Stevens and three colleagues on 11 September. A further set of departures came after the 12 January attack on a vehicle in which Italy’s consul-general in Benghazi was travelling. The Italian consulate-general in the city has since been closed, temporarily.

Though embassies only started alerting their nationals today,  the first corporate security warning of  the expected attack was actually issued at 2000 hours yesterday (Wednesday).

It was not immediately clear how easily Westerners were managing to leave Benghazis.

There was, however, certainly chaos at Tripoli airport today, Thursday. The 1300 hrs flight to Benghazi was  overbooked. However, bumped passengers hoping to catch the next flight at 1500 hours, found that that had been cancelled.

It appeared at one point that both the British International and European schools in Benghazi had been closed.  One man, Abdelaziz Mettawa, who indicated he was a father of a child at the British School, told the Libya Herald that parents had been informed that the school would be closed all next week, but planned to reopen on 2 February.  He said the headmaster had been called by the British ambassador late on Tuesday evening, asking for the school to be shut and for all British teachers to leave the city.

However, the Libya Herald has since contacted the headmaster of the British International School, David Bolan who said: “We are obviously concerned and have asked for increased security…we have decided to stay, but are assessing the situation daily… we hope that the authorities do something to put an end to this situation which has been going on for quite sometime.” Bolan added that this was the second time his government has asked the British teachers to leave. The first suggested evacuation was through the port of Benghazi in February 2011 at the start of the revolution. Bolan and his team stayed. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziLibyaterror threatwesterners

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Air Malta cancels Benghazi flights

Air Malta cancels Benghazi flights

"Quit Benghazi" advice is overreaction says government

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.