No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Dead man was major drugs dealer claims SSC special unit

byMichel Cousins
February 9, 2013
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Umar Khan.

Tripoli, 14 January 2013:

The special SWAT unit ‘Quwat Al-Rada” that arrested . . .[restrict]the alleged drug dealer Najmi Al-Abani who subsequently died claims it had been looking for him for over four weeks and an arrest warrant had been obtained from the anti-narcotics department over a month ago. It also claims that Abani died in prison of severe cold.

Others say that he was a small-time dealer, that he was murdered and his body left on the beach. Deputy Interior Minister Omar El-Khadrawi has said that he was killed “unlawfully”.  An enquiry has been started by the authorties.

The special unit, commanded by Mahmud Humza, comes under the Ministry of Interior and has created a name for seizing large amount drugs and alcohol in the past 6 weeks.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

Abani, who lived in Tripoli’s Fashloum district, had a history as a drug dealer, the unit says, claiming that he served a lengthy prison sentence in Tunisia in the 1990s and he was later arrested in Libya and charged with drugs-related offences. It is reported that he was last arrested in May 2009 along with two others while trying to bring a kilo of cocaine into Libya.

After the news of his death spread, angry residents of Fashloum took to the streets and blocked the main road for two days demanding action against the brigade that arrested him. The also called for action against a senior commander of Supreme Security Committee (SSC), Abdul Rauf Karah, who has overall control of the unit that held Abani.

The special unit in question was formed as a result of consultations between all units of SSC Tripoli in August 2012. The units decided to form a special force to cope with the threat of drugs that was growing rapidly. It was decided that ten members would be selected from all units that would join this special unit. It took three months before some 140 members were selected and then trained. The unit went operational on 1 December 2012 and it conducted several operations since, seizing huge quantities of drugs and alcohol.

The spokesman of the unit, Osama Qamboor, told the Libya Herald that they were informed by people in Fashloum about the presence of Abani but he disapeared before they arrived there. “We ultimately arrested him in Ghout Al-Shaal without any gun battle. He was then taken to the headquarters from where he was transferred to the prison.”

According to initial reports, Abani was tortured to death but these claims have been denied by Karah, who has claimed that the man died of cold, having been left outside all night. Qamboor restates the denial. “We can’t say if he was hit during some sort of struggle inside the car but once he arrived at the headquarters, he was not tortured at all. It’s impossible that something happened to him in the prison.”

Maintaining likewise that Abani died of cold, he said that the exact cause could only be determined once the investigation was finished. “Doctors said that he died of cold but I cannot speculate on the cause of his death. It will be clear once the investigation is completed.”

Qamboor blamed the drug dealers for the trouble in front of the Mitigaa airbase and said that those who gathered outside the base on Wednesday were only looking for trouble. “We pulled inside the base as we wanted to avoid any confrontation. These 25-30 men were only looking for trouble. They also fired shots in the air and towards the base.”

Qamboor claimed that Abani was one of the biggest drug dealers of North Africa and they had evidence to prove it. “We have concrete evidence against him. We were following him for some time. People from Fashloum initially reported his activities to us and then we started gathering all the evidence. He was not only involved but was the main supplier of drugs here.”

Some people hold Abdul Rauf Karah, commander of around 49 reinforcement units under the SSC, as responsible for Abani’s death. Deputy Interior Minister Omar Khadrawi also named Karah in reference to last week’s clashes in Tripoli in a cabinet meeting and said that the death of Abani would be investigated.

However, present at a meeting discussing the current situation with other notables from his constituency of Suq Al-Juma, Congressman Ehmeda Saleh Assaid Eddali expressed support for Karah and called for strict action against what he called an ‘organised drug ring’. He told the Libya Herald that the issue was not between personalities but about the evil of drugs in the Libyan society. He also said that the evil of drugs was now in academic institutions and it has even started reaching primary schools, corrupting the young students.

Eddali said that he and others were building Libya for the future generation and everybody should work together to make it a country free of this evil. The trade in alcohol and drugs, he added, were endangering the security and stability of Libya and should be stopped with force.

Follow Umar Khan on Twitter

[/restrict]

Tags: FashloumIslamistsKaraLibyaTripoli

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Women’s bloc founded in Congress

Women's bloc founded in Congress

Zeidan in Qatar

Zeidan in Qatar

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.