No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Egyptians arrest suspected terror leader in connection with Benghazi consulate attack

byGeorge Grant
December 8, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, 8 December:

The attack on the US consulate in Benghazi killed four Americans, including the US Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens.

The Egyptian authorities have detained a leading terror operative with suspected links to Al-Qaeda, whose network is said to . . .[restrict]have been involved in the deadly assault on the US Consulate in Benghazi on 11 September.

Muhammed Jamal Abu Ahmad, a former member of the Egyptian Islamic Jihad, was captured in the past week according to unnamed US officials.

Ahmad, who was freed from prison in March 2011 following the deposition of Hosni Mubarak in the Egyptian revolution, is reported to have been captured with the assistance of US intelligence.

Since his release from jail, Ahmad is suspected of assembling a team of operatives with training camps in Libya and Egypt, supported by funding from Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), based in Yemen.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The report of Ahmad’s capture has been carried in the Wall Street Journal, which also said that the Egyptian authorities had yet to formally announce the arrest.

In the three months since the attack, which left four Americans dead including the US Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens, not a single person in Libya has been formally charged in connection with the assault, at least not publicly.

In early October, it was announced that two Tunisians had been detained at Istanbul airport in connection with the assault, after their names were placed on a list of suspects distributed by US intelligence officials.

The authorities in Benghazi have admitted they are frightened to move against militia suspects, whilst the leader of one of Benghazi’s Libya Shield brigades, Wissam Bin Hamid, recently admitted that – if requested – he would not arrest members of the Ansar Al-Sharia brigade accused of involvement owing to bonds forged between revolutionaries who fought in last year’s uprising. He added that in any case, he did not believe they were to blame.

The slow pace of the investigation in Libya is known to be frustrating the American government, which has operated drone surveillance operations over Benghazi since the 11 September attack.

It is believed in some circles that if progress is not made soon to apprehend the suspects then the US government may deploy its own operatives to do so instead. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibya

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

Zeidan to visit Algeria

Flights grounded at Benghazi airport Friday after altercation between pilot and air-traffic controller

Flights grounded at Benghazi airport Friday after altercation between pilot and air-traffic controller

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Industry exploring establishing two-million-ton annual capacity “environmentally friendly” cement plant with China’s Goodwill Ceramic

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.