No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Abushagur withdraws cabinet proposals as Zawia protestors invade Congress

byMichel Cousins
October 4, 2012
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Michel Cousins and Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli, 4 October:

Prime . . .[restrict]minister-elect Mustafa Abushagur has withdrawn his cabinet list submitted to the General National Congress yesterday, Wednesday, following angry opposition to it from Congress members. They accused him of not having negotiated with them and insisted that several names were unacceptable.

At one point last night, Wednesday, as a many as 50 members walked out of Congress in protest. Most were members of Mahmoud Jibril’s National Forces Alliance (NFA) which was not included in the new cabinet. Not all of the NFA, however, walked out.

A number of those who did, as well as some independents, called for Abushagur to be sacked as the country’s next prime minister.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

The cabinet list had been due to be put to the Congress today to vote on.  However, according to several Congress members, Abushagur  “sensing the mood of Congress”, (as one of them put it) decided to make significant changes before representing to Congress before the deadline of 7 October.

He is now due to present it on Saturday.

Discussions on the matter with him had continued until three o’clock on Thursday morning, according to a Congressman who had been at the meeting.

Congress met later in the morning to continue discussions on the crisis and whether or not they should vote on the names on the list. There was split between those who wanted to do so and those who wanted to wait for a new list.

However, proceedings were then thrown into chaos when some 200 militiamen from Zawia managed to break into the Congress hall despite the strong military presence outside. They complained that the new government did not include anyone from the town. They demanded Abushagur be sacked and that the next government include a Zawia representative.

Ironically, the incursion appears to have calmed tempers and rallied support for the prime minister-elect. “We could not have agreed to their demands,” a member of Congress told the Libya Herald. “We accept freedom of expression but not such action.” If Congress had agreed, he said, “every other town and tribe would then wanted to do the same.”

As a result Congress decided to postpone the session. During the afternoon, several Congressmen told the Libya Herald they did not know what the next step would be.

The political crisis appears to have damaged Abushagur’s credibility.

Congressmen were talking today of a shambles that had clearly demonstrated his political naivety. “We’re being led not by politicians or leaders, but by academics”, said one independent Congressmen who accused the Prime Minister-elect of negotiating only with the NFA and the Muslim Brotherhood’s Justice and Construction Party but not with the independents.

Alaeddin Mgariaf, the independent Congressmen from Benghazi, likened Abushagur and others in positions of power to “a group of people going on a picnic, not leaders”.

Another Congressman accused the Prime Minister-elect and the present Prime Minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib of being “out of touch”. They had been too long away from Libya, he said. They were “not informed” about the country. However, he vigorously denied the suggestion that Abushagur had not negotiated his list.

“He almost killed himself consulting”, he said, saying that anyone had been able to submit a name.  Abushagur had taken opinions from all sections with Congress”, he insisted. Five hundred names, he said, had been submitted and assessed. But the problem was that the process had been too academic. It was “academically good” but “politically poor”.

Nonetheless, he thought that, despite being weakened, Abushagur would survive. “His chances are still alive”, he said.

  [/restrict]

Tags: featured

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Acting officiously

Fourth Sousa policeman dies

Fourth Sousa policeman dies

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.