No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tebus claim desire for closer relations with Arabs at launch of Tebu National Assembly

byGeorge Grant
June 3, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By George Grant.

Tripoli, 3 June:

The official launch of the Tebu National Assembly (TNA) took place in Tripoli today, in a move . . .[restrict]Tebu leaders hope will lead to closer relations with the national government, and a greater focus on Tebu affairs.

“Just as the Tebu were effective in the revolution, so we must now be effective in helping to build a new Libya”, organisers said.

The TNA has made it clear that it is not a political body, but exists to promote closer relations between the Tebu community and other Libyans, and to reinforce the sense that the Tebu are an integral part of the Libyan nation.

RELATED POSTS

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Tensions between the ethnically-black Tebu and Arab Libyans have long been strained in the south of the country. In the past few months alone, clashes have taken place in several southern towns, including Kufra, Sebha and Ghadames, resulting in a number of fatalities.

In addition to divisions stoked by the Qaddafi regime, the Tebu believe that tensions have resulted from racial discrimination; a problem that has taken on an added dimension in the wake of last year’s revolution.

“We were amongst the first to rise against Qaddafi”, says Hussein Chake, the leader of Libya’s Tebus. “I announced that decision on television on 22 February 2011”. In spite of that, Chake says, Qaddafi’s decision to hire black mercenaries from outside of Libya has led to new problems. “We sought to close the frontier with Niger and Chad”, he says. “We knew that the Arabs would confuse us with the blacks coming in, and put us all in the same category. Unfortunately, that does now seem to be the case”.

Conflicts have also arisen on account of competing commercial interests in the region, in particular over control of the many lucrative smuggling routes running through southern Libya to neighbouring countries.

This issue was not, however, on the TNA’s agenda.

“We want to make sure the Tebu are a full and active part of the new Libya”, says Adam Arami, president of the TNA. “The TNA was founded on 9 February 2012 to promote the Tebu as a minority in Libya. Under Qaddafi, no such organisation was allowed, and the Tebu were badly discriminated against by the regime.

“Tebu areas are in dire need of investment”, he adds, “in everything including housing, sanitation, education, health and infrastructure”.

In addition to securing new investment and promoting improved Tebu-Arab relations, the TNA also says it will work to ensure Tebu’s a fairly represented in Libya’s new political structures. One of the TNA’s seven official goals is to ensure that the Tebu are properly involved in helping to draft the new Libyan constitution.

“We have been viewed as a separate minority for too long”, Arami concludes. “It is time for the Tebu to take a full part in Libya’s future”.

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Lawyers hail Supreme Court's Law 37 review

Opinion: Elections, Federalism and Uncertainty

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.