No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

31 claimed dead as fighting around Zuara intensifies

byMichel Cousins
April 4, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, April 3: Fighting between Zuara forces and those from neighbouring Al-Jmail and Rigaldeen intensified on Tuesday and is reported to have . . .[restrict]claimed as many as 31 lives.   Much of fighting is taking place in Rigdaleen.

An official from Rigdaleen, Rami Kaanan, was quoted saying that said 17 fighters and residents were killed. He said that this included two women and a baby. The latter was reported killed when a rocket fell on his home.

Zuara spokesman Ayour Ali told Libya Herald on Tuesday evening that 14 Zuarans had been killed and 62 wounded. Nine had been killed in the town and five in the fighting.  Four of the latter, he claimed, had been killed when a missile hit their vehicle.

Ayoob Sufyan from the Zuara Media Centre said that Zuara was being bombarded by Al-Jmail forces. “Many houses have been destroyed and civilians wounded,” he claimed.

On Monday, Sufayan had said that Zuara would go on the offensive today if the government did not intervene and disarm Al-Jmail and Rigdaleen, which he said had been armed by Qaddafi last year. This appears to have happened.

RELATED POSTS

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

A Ministry of the interior spokesman however, told Libya Herald on Tuesday that it was taking action.

“I can confirm that the National Army has been told to contain the situation as soon as possible. Some forces have already reached the area. A number of helicopters are in the skies above the three cities monitoring the situation.”

Interior Minister Fawzi Abdelal told reporters he was “asking the two sides to restrain themselves… because there will be no winners in this battle”.

Sufyan, who said that the town’s hospital was full, confirmed that forces had arrived but were not intervening. He accused the government and others of not helping.  Sabratha, he said, had stopped sending weapons. “Everyone has abandoned us”.

Reports say that ambulances from Tripoli and Zawia have been sent to the area.

Ali said that a shipment of medical aid from Zuarans in the capital would be sent to Zuara by boat from Tripoli on Wednesday because it was not being allowed through at Sabratha.

Clashes started on Sunday after 25 Zuara militiamen were seized on Satruday night by Al-Jamail forces and then released on Sunday although Zuarans claim they were tortured.

The Zuarans have characterised the clashes as a continuation of last year’s revolution, with themselves as freedom fighters and Al-Jamil and Rigdaleen as supporters of the Qaddafi regime.  They claim that when the 25 were seized their captors were waving green flags although this has been firmly denied by government officials.

The two sides were in opposite camps during last year’s revolution. Observers, however, point to much older animosities between them. They add that smuggling rivalries have exacerbated the animosity.

Meanwhile Abdul Rahman Swehli of the Union for the Homeland party has warned of the danger of Libya sliding into the political and security turmoil.  He blamed remnants of the former regime which he said were trying to push the country into chaos.

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Strong French presence at Tripoli International Fair

France plans to build a lasting relationship

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.