No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Fighting continues in Sebha as Tebus threaten to secede

byMichel Cousins
February 1, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Sebha residents try to flee the . . .[restrict]city
Tripoli, March 28 2012:

For the fourth day, heavy fighting has continued in Sebha, Wednesday, between Tebu militiamen and local brigadesmen supported by government forces flow in to try and restore order.

At a press conference on Wednesday evening, the government spokesman Nasser Al-Mana said clashes were subsiding but  that more than 70 people had died so far in the fighting. Others disagreed.

“The fighting has not stopped all day,” local Sebha resident El-Hussein Muhamed told the Libya Herald by phone. “It is now taking place in Hajarah district”.

The district is a couple of kilometres south east of the city centre, just north of the airport.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

According to Muhamed, who said that he had been to Sebha hospital during the day, 40 Sebha residents have been killed so far in the clashes.  He said there were 20 injured people currently being treated there.  They included 10 Tebus.  He did not know how many Tebus had been killed.  “They take their bodies to Murzuq,” he said.

A Tebu source in Murzuq confirmed on Wednesday afternoon that fighting was still continuing in Sebah. He said that 29 Tebus had been killed and another 31 wounded who were taken to Murzuq.  He added the four Tebu students had been arrested in a raid on a Tebu house in Sebha.

The Tebus are reportedly well armed.  Qatiba forces from Benghazi and Ajdabiya are being sent to Sebha.

Meanwhile Issa Abdul-Majed Mansour, the Tebu military leader in the south of the country, has threatened to declare an independent state if the NTC does nothing to stop the fighting.

“I announce the revitalization of the Tebu Front for the Salvation of Libya to protect the Tabu from ethnic cleansing. And if the need arises, we will demand international intervention and seek to establish a state like South Sudan,” he declared on Wednesday.

“We are being massacred right in front of the NTC’s eyes,” he is reported as saying.  He also alleged that a village in Kufra had been attacked by Libya fighter planes and “burned to the ground”.  He accused the NTC of permitting genocide against the Tebu.   He claimed there was no difference between it and the Qaddafi regime in their hostility to Tebus.

Mansour said that he wanted support Libyan unity and that the Tebu  had played a key role in the revolt in the south against Qaddafi. “We have said that the unity of Libya matters above all else. But now we have to protect ourselves and other minorities.”

A Tebu spokesman in Tripoli, Abubakr Muhamed, claimed that Arab fighters were going from house to house in Sebha forcing Tebu residents at gunpoint to leave.  He added that 28 injured Tebus were in the southern town of Obari waiting to be airlifted out.

Last month, fighting in Kufra between Tebus and the Zwai tribe backed by government forces claimed the lives of 130 people.  The town has remained tense since then with Tebus living in an armed camp in the town.  So far there has been no reports that the Sebha fighting has spread back to Kufra.

 

 

[/restrict]

Tags: featuredSebha flee the city

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Amazigh demonstrations in Zuara

Algeria calls on Libya to lift visa restrictions

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.