No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Canadian firm sued over links with Qaddafi family; Canadian ambassador’s hudband drawn into the spreading scandal

byMichel Cousins
March 3, 2012
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

Quebec City-based law firm Siskinds, Desmeules said on Friday that it was suing Canadian firm SNC-Lavalin for $250 million on behalf . . .[restrict]of clients over the company’s activities in Libya.

It claimed that the Canadian company took part “in unlawful activities in Libya” over a period of nearly three years.

The suit has been launched in the Quebec Superior Court against certain of its present as well as former officials and directors.

The law firm alleges that they “made statements that were materially false and misleading in regard to SNC-Lavalin’s code of conduct, legal compliance, and internal controls.”

The case is being pursued on behalf of investors who bought SNC-Lavalin shares from 13 March, 2009, to 28 February, 2012.

RELATED POSTS

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Last Tuesday, SNC-Lavalin’s shares lost 20 per cent of their value following a company statement that it had launched an internal investigation into the “facts and circumstances” surrounding $35 million of payments made in the fourth quarter of 2011. On Wednesday, it fell another 2.7 percent.

The executive in charge of construction projects, Riadh Ben Aissa, left the firm last month amid questions about his ties to the Qaddafi family. He has threatened to sue the engineering and construction company for sullying his reputation.

At the beginning of last month, it was reported by the Toronto-based National Post that SNC-Lavalin had admitted that one of its executives was present in November when Mexican police arrested Cynthia Vanier, a Canadian, in Mexico City. She was later charged for her alleged role in a plot to smuggle Saadi Qaddafi into the country.

In a statement, the company said former vice-president and financial controller Stéphane Roy had travelled to Mexico City in November to meet Vanier.

“Mr. Roy has reported that he went to Mexico to meet with Ms. Vanier to discuss possible water treatment projects but was met by someone else,” Leslie Quinton, an SNC-Lavalin spokeswoman said in an e-mail.

“He reported he was present when the other person was detained and was asked the purpose of his visit by the authorities, which he stated was the possibility of water treatment projects, and to our knowledge, underwent no further questioning. We understand that there was no charge placed against him nor, to our knowledge, is he under investigation now.”

Like Aissa, Roy resigned from the company on 9 February.

It is being claimed that Vanier was by employed by SNC-Lavalin in July and sent to Libya to analyse the situation. However, it is also being suggested in some quarters that she was retained the company to help the Qaddafi family to flee.

Last Tuesday, the Australian private security contractor, Gary Peters, who lives in Canada and who has admitted helping Saadi to flee to Niger, was reportedly grilled by Canadian immigration officials about his links to SNC-Lavalin.

For almost five hours, the Canada Border Services Agency questioned him about SNC-Lavalin’s role in financing some of his international travels.

Peters is quoted as saying afterwards that the agency wanted to know “What trips they paid for, how much they paid, who paid, who was the contact. That’s what they were asking about that. How I got paid.”

The spreading scandal has now engulfed the Canadian embassy in Tripoli.  Last week, CBC reported that Edis Zagorac, the husband of Canada’s ambassador, Sandra McCardell, was hired to work on SNC-Lavalin’s $275-million contract awarded by the Qaddafi regime to build a prison near Tripoli.   It is alleged he began working for a joint-venture company chaired by Saadi Qaddafi — the Executing Agency of the Libyan Corps of Engineers — on 1 October 2009, less than three months after his wife took her post on July 20.

SNC-Lavelin also was awarded contracts by the Qaddafi regime to build an airport and an irrigation project.

There are also questions about the company’s links with the family of Tunisia’s deposed president, Zine El Abidine Ben Ali. In January, Radio-Canada’s Enquete claimed that another SNC-Lavalin executive, vice-president Kebir Ratnani, had been given power of attorney over the Westmount property of Ben Ali’s son-in-law. It is also reported that the former Canadian ambassador to Tunisia, Bruno Picard, now works for SNC-Lavelin.

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

Algerian Foreign Minister to visit Tripoli on Monday

Muslim Brotherhood formally launches party

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.