No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Russian embassy attack – contradictory accounts

byNigel Ash
October 5, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ashraf Abdul Wahab

A burned-out vehicle outside the embassy belonging to embassy staff.
A burned-out vehicle outside the embassy belonging to embassy staff. (Photo: Aimen Eljali)

Tripoli, 2 October 2013:

It is still unclear exactly what happened earlier this evening when gunmen attack the Russian . . .[restrict]embassy in Dahra. The foreign ministry in Moscow confirmed the attack but said that the intruders were quickly expelled.

“There has been an incident in Tripoli tonight,” Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Aleksandr Lukashevich told Russian broadcaster RT,  “in which there was shelling and attempts to enter the territory of the Russian Embassy in this country.”

According to Russian sources, two cars drove up to the main entrance and men inside shot up a vehicle that was parked outside, setting it ablaze. From various directions, there was believed to be small arms fire and rocket-propelled grenades fired at the building It is also said that the attackers managed to scale the compound walls on three sides.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The Russians are insisting that the situation was brought under control very quickly by security forces.  This appears to be a reference to Russian-controlled guards within the embassy, not Libyan security forces. These, including the diplomatic police, some of whom should have been occupying an patrol station at one of the compound’s corners, were notable by their absence.

Moscow admitted that the attackers had torn down the Russian flag in what looks as if it was a repeat of the February 2012 assault, when Syrians and Libyans, protested Russian and indeed Chinese blocking of an interventionist UN policy on Syria. This may have meant that the attackers again got onto the main roof of the embassy.

In the noise and confusion of the incident, the Libya Herald saw what looked like TV screens and computers being looted from the building, which may also have been  subjected to attempts to set it alight. The pall of black smoke rising from the blazing car at the main entrance made it hard see if there were more than one fire. The majority of the attackers were Salafist in appearance.

The Russians are saying that all of their people were safe after the attack. However there are reports that one Libyan may have died in the invasion.

The embassy attack may have been a response to the Suq Al-Jumah murder of a prominent Revolutionary fighter by his Russia wife or Girlfriend, using his own Kalashnikov.

  [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyarussian embassy

Related Posts

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Next Post
Libyan businessmen explore opportunities in Pakistan

Libyan businessmen explore opportunities in Pakistan

Senussi and Qaddafi regime figures again in court

Senussi and Qaddafi regime figures again in court

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.