No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Kidnaps in Tripoli continue with journalist among latest victims

byMichel Cousins
November 12, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Kidnaps in Tripoli continue with journalist among latest victims

Moutaz Kraif

By Saber Ayyub.

Moutaz Kraif
Moutaz Khraif (Photo: with thanks to Khaled Salama Photography)

Tripoli, 11 November 2015:

A civil society activist and journalist as well as the manager of the Waddan hotel were . . .[restrict]among the latest people to be kidnapped in Tripoli yesterday.

Moutaz Khraif, the head of the organisation “For the good we gathered” was seized in Dahra district just behind the Supreme Court while hotel manager Walid Tantush was seized when men stormed the iconic hotel.

In both cases the kidnappers were reported to have been masked. At least another two people area also said to have been abducted in during the day.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

It is also reported that some five journalists were detained over the past couple of weeks.

It is not known who was responsible for the latest abductions although Rada (“deterrence”) forces, under the control of Abdul Raouf Kara, are being accused.

It is not the first time there have been allegations of them detaining individuals either opposed to Libya Dawn or not quite fitting in. One central Tripoli resident told the Libya Herald today that he had not left his home in a week, fearing arrest by Rada because he had been denounced by a third party as being opposed to the force’s activities.

Khraif was taken in the early afternoon from in front of his home. According to his mother, four masked men who arrived in a 4X4 vehicle, grabbed him and drive off.

Well known, thanks to his efforts trying to help families in need, his seizure has caused a storm of protest in Tripoli. The National Commission Human Rights in Libya has condemned it and called for his release along with that of Aimen Aburas, another journalist, who was kidnapped in Tripoli on 9 September.

By coincidence, the international NGO Reporters Without Borders issued its own condemnation of militia attacks on journalists today, although it did not mention Khraif.

“The Libyan state’s disintegration and the failure to punish those responsible for such crimes has created a climate of violence that is extremely dangerous for the right to information”, it said in its statement, adding that the militias were “uncontrollable”.

Militias, it noted, had been responsible for 31 attacks on Libyan journalists this year, adding “they do not hesitate to kidnap those who dare to report or criticise their abuses”.

There is still no news about Mohamed Al-Naili, a photographer working for the Chinese news agency Xinhua, who disappeared in mysterious circumstances on 29 October. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaTripoli

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
“UAE spy” arrested in Tripoli

“UAE spy” arrested in Tripoli

Arab-South American Summit backs HoR on July version of UN agreement

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.