No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Elections to be delayed.

byMichel Cousins
June 3, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Michel Cousins.

Tripoli, 3 June:

It is now certain beyond any reasonable doubt that the elections for the National Conference on 19 . . .[restrict]June will be delayed, Libya Herald can reveal.

A number of diplomats in Tripoli have said that in the past few days they had been informed that the election date would be rescheduled.   “I can guarantee that they will not take place on 19 June”, said one ambassador.  “They will be delayed”, said another.

Several reasons were given for the postponement. There was the decision by the High National Election Commission (HNEC) to extend by one week the period for registering candidates and parties. As a result, the final list of vetted candidates is not due to be released until Tuesday which would give them just two weeks to campaign. This is seen not enough time for voters to find out about them and make informed choices.

RELATED POSTS

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

There is also a very practical reason for the delay.  “The ballot papers will not be ready for 19 June,” another diplomat disclosed.

The reason given for not yet announcing the delay is that the HNEC has not made up its mind when the poll should be.  “They cannot announce a delay without at the same time announcing when the new date will be”, one of the diplomats said.

There have been persistent rumours in recent days that the elections would be delayed but until now officials have likewise persistently denied them.   However, when asked today, Sunday, if a new date would be announced, an official at the HNEC who did not want to be named said “not yet”. The situation was “not really clear”, he explained.  The commission would meet during the week to make a decision, he said

The diplomats indicated that the new date is likely to be in July rather than June.  The 10th of July was mentioned — three weeks later than the original date. The UN which is advising the High National Election Commission and which has been pressing strongly for a delay to give more time to campaigning, is said to favour a date in July.

A number of observers have earlier spoken of 30 June as a possible date but this is thought unlikely because it is a Saturday and part of the normal weekend.  The concern is that on a weekend, a number of voters may go away and not vote.  The HNEC wants the election to be to be in the middle of the week. That will then be made a public holiday for the event, thus (it is hoped) ensuring that the maximum amount of people go out and vote.

It is widely perceived that the Libyan public will accept a delay providing the reasons are clearly explained and a date is given that is not too far away.  Two or three weeks is thought acceptable.  But it has to be before Ramadan, which begins on 20 July (depending on the first sighting of the new moon).  After that it would be seen as too late. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Grand Mufti accuses Iran

Drugs haul at beach east of Sirte

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.