No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi hospitals deny EU claims of civilian airstrike casualties

byMichel Cousins
September 24, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Aimen Amzein.

Benghazi, 23 September 2015:

Benghazi hospitals contacted by the Libya Herald say they have received no civilian casualties as a . . .[restrict]result of the latest military operation launched on Saturday by Khalifa Hafter against Islamic State forces and other militants in the city.

“No civilians have been brought to the hospital as the result of the military operation so far,” a spokesman for Benghazi Medical Centre said.

“We have had military casualties but no civilians casualties for the past three days,” an official at Jalaa Hospital similarly reported.

RELATED POSTS

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

UNSMIL announces results of online survey to be used as a guide to proposing initiative to break Libya’s political deadlock

Local residents contacted in Leithi also say they know of no civilians being killed or wounded as a result of Operation Hatif (Doom).

In a joint statement on Sunday, hwoever, the ambassadors and representatives at the negotiations on Skhirat from the EU, France, Germany, Italy, Morocco, Portugal, Spain, Turkey, the UK and US, condemned what they said were “air strikes against civilian population in Benghazi”.

The statement was seen as being in support of a earlier one by UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon who condemned the operation saying it was an attempt to undermine the Libya Dialogue process.

Both statements have drawn widespread criticism from Libyans who have accused Leon and the ambassadors of bias towards the Islamists. There was no condemnation of the Islamic state’s or Ansar Al-Sharia’s activities in Benghazi in Leon’s statement, although he has since spoke against them. There have also been demands for evidence to back up the diplomats’ accusations.

The diplomats have since been backtracking on the statement. One diplomat who signed it has since privately told this newspaper that they had initially been told about attacks on civilians, but that this turned out “not to be true”.

In Bengahzi, one Leithi resident said that his family had just returned to their home in the north of the district, near Hijaz Street which was the one area there that was now clear of militants and the only part of Leithi where civilians were now living. “There have been no bombardments in this part of Leithi.”

Another resident whose family home is in Buatni, scene of heavy fighting in the past three days, said that the military had allowed him back to his home there to check it out.

The Libyan Natial Army (LNA) report that as part of Operation Hatif, it has pushed militants out of the air defence camp in Buatni and thethe areas around the Pepsi factory. Ansar, however, still controls part of Buatni. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziEULibyaLibya dialogueSkhiratUNSMIL

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Torrential Eid rains bring Tripoli to standstill

Torrential Eid rains bring Tripoli to standstill

Families allowed to visit Derna IS prisoners as fighting in Fataieh continues

Families allowed to visit Derna IS prisoners as fighting in Fataieh continues

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.