No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya needs to produce another 1800 MW: Tripoli Electricity Minister

byMichel Cousins
August 7, 2015
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Libya needs to produce another 1800 MW: Tripoli Electricity Minister

Tripoli electricity minister

By Moutaz Ali.

Tripoli electricity minister Nuredin Ali Salem, the Minister of Electricity . . .[restrict]and Renewable Energy
Tripoli Electricity and Renewable Energy Minister Nuredin Ali Salem (Photo: Moutaz Ali)

Tripoli, 5 August 2015:

Libya needs to produce almost 40 percent more electricity, Nuredin Ali Salem, the Minister of Electricity and Renewable Energy in the Tripoli government of Khalifa Ghwell has said. Speaking in an interview with the Libya Herald, he said that current output was 2,850 megawatts (MW) but that another 1,800 MW was needed to meet current demand. However, he held out little hope that the extra electricity would be produced until the country’s political problems were solved.

In a frank admission of the enormous electricity shortages facing the entire country, Salem yesterday put the problem down to the political conflict. It was not so much that fighting had stopped plants operating or that facilities had been damaged and electrical engineers were afraid to makes repairs, it was that foreign companies and workers that had been building or operating plants had left the country because of the situation.

“The main causes [for the problem] are the current circumstances of the country – the ongoing wars inside the country – plus the departure of the international companies which operate the generating stations”, he said.

RELATED POSTS

PowerElec 2025 will be held from 8-11 December at Tripoli International Fairgrounds

Libya’s annual fuel bill rose to US$ 12 bn due to increased electricity production

Electricity production would have been far greater this year had the political crisis not blown up, Salem said. “There were many power generation projects that were supposed to come on stream during 2014 but which have now been delayed because international companies fled the country.”

The 525-MW power station in Khoms was a case in point, he noted. “The area is very safe, but the Turkish company left the station in March 2014 after Hafter issued his threat that all Turkish had to leave the country immediately. The company was supposed to complete the works and hand over the power plant in June 2014. Khoms station is up to 85-percent implemented and only needs two to three months of work to start producing power. But the Turks refuse to return.”

It is not a question of needing to plan for new generating stations, Salem said. Plans had already been made, contracts awarded, work undertaken and almost completed. But again it had stopped. “We have Obari power plant which is supposed to produce 640 MW; Sirte power plant, 1,400 MW, Zahra power plant, 235 MW; and Tripoli West, 1,400 MW.”

As a result of these unfinished projects, the two parts of the country suffering electricity shortages most at the moment were the greater Tripoli area and the south, he explained.

Both are experiencing lengthy outages daily, around half a day; in some districts even more. And without electricity, it is not just a matter of no air conditioning in the intense summer heat. The pumps for water do not work, nor does the internet or the mobile phone networks. But it is not just the Tripoli area and the south that are suffering. Parts of Benghazi have gone two or three days without electricity.

“If the international companies returned and accomplished their projects, the problem would be solved completely. And, believe or not, Libya would be able then to export electricity!” Salem stated.

The problem had been compounded, he pointed out, by the fact power plants need regular maintenance. “For example, gas units need overall maintenance each of 40,000 or 50,000 working hours. Again, this needs the cooperation of the international expertise – and most of them have left the country. We’ve lost many power plants because of this.”

To ease the immediate problem, there have been plans to import generators, Salim said, but it does not look as if it is going to work. “We suggested importing gas [powered] units in order to provide the electricity service to people in fast time because the international companies still refuse to return and resume their projects. Unfortunately the amount we have suggested is $1 billion and it it seemed a huge amount to some people. But it is not if we’re to provide immediate electricity supplies in as large a country as Libya,” he said.

As a result, “we as a ministry don’t have the funds for this”. [/restrict]

Tags: electricityfeaturedLibyaNuredin Ali Salem

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

IS kills captured judge: report

Tunisia to reopen airspace with western Libya: Tunisian Ministry of Transport

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.