No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi battles rage as arms smuggling boats “sunk”

byNigel Ash
July 21, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Benghazi battles rage as arms smuggling boats “sunk”

Outline of the battlefield today (Source Libya Herald staff)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Outline of the battlefield today (Source Libya Herald staff)
Outline of the battlefield today (Source: Libya Herald staff)

Benghazi, 20 July 2015:

At least one arms smuggling vessel was apparently destroyed today in Mreisa harbour by a . . .[restrict]helicopter gunship as the army pressed on towards the small port, while shifting the thrust of its ground attack in the west of Benghazi away from Leithi and toward Buatni and Gwarsha.

In a day that has seen heavy firing from army batteries, including howitzers and Grad rockets,   an army source claimed that a second vessel which, he said had been carrying arms and reinforcements from Misrata, had also been destroyed in Mreisa.

The Libyan Cement Company plant in Gwarsha was bombed and damaged. Air Force commander Saqr Geroushi said that the works were being used by Daesh as an operations room and ammunition store. The army is understood to be again be attacking Gwarsha, renewing a push led by 309 Brigade that fizzled out last month.

RELATED POSTS

LBC opens its Eastern Region branch at its new Benghazi location

Egypt Real Estate Exhibition launched in Benghazi

In Leithi, an army tank drove into Nubs Square, the scene of bitter fighting over the last the few days. The object was to see if Daesh had prepared an ambush but it is understood that the armoured vehicle was not fired on. It is not clear if ground forces then advanced to take the remainder of square. Last week, soldiers were injured by booby-traps left behind by retreating militants.

There are also reports that the army is preparing another push against Daesh fighters holding out  in Alblad (Downtown) toward the Suq Al-Hood (fish market), Sabri and the area around the lighthouse.

Meanwhile Saiqa Special Forces investigator Fadl El-Hassi has said that two men have been detained on suspicion of spying for Daesh.  A 42 year-old Libyan and a Chadian aged 23 were arrested in Birkah accused of sending information on army movements to the militants.

Hassi also denied reports that one of Saiqa’s bomb disposal experts, Tareq Al-Saiti, had been assassinated. Hassi said that Saiti had been involved in a car crash but was not seriously injured.

Late this evening there were reports that jet fighter circling to the west of the city. Benina airbase, from which it almost certainly took off, today got a new commander, Mohamed Mansur Ali Al-Mnifi. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghazifeaturedfightingLeithiLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Tribal assembly in Soloug postponed

Derna muhjideen take the wheel to solve fuel crisis

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.