No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Zintanis claim capture of Libya Dawn commander and arrival of more jets

byMichel Cousins
December 16, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli/Tunis, 16 December 2014:

Zintani forces claim today to have captured a senior Libya Dawn commander near Abu Khammash, . . .[restrict]scene of Sunday’s clashes and currently in the hands of Libya Dawn forces. An official at the Zintan Operations Room (ZOR) named the commander as Musa Al-Housh Zayed Al-Rahal. The ZOR official also claimed that there had been three Libya National Army (LNA) airstrikes today around Zuwara and near Zultan. The latter town is supposedly under LNA control.

There has been no confirmation of the airstrikes or the capture of the commander.

In a potentially more significant development, the ZOR also claims that two new fighter planes have been flown to Wattiya airbase, south of Al-Jmail. If true it would double the military aircraft available to the LNA to strike at its opponents.

RELATED POSTS

Spanish visiting medical team perform joint operations in Beida, US-based consultant visiting in Zintan

Implementation of Zintan Free Zone and exhibitions centre ongoing

It is also the first time that the Zintanis have publicly admitted using the massive airbase. For over a month, despite the widespread suspicion that it was being used as the base for the LNA air force in the west as well as accusations to that effect by Libya Dawn, the Zintanis constantly claimed that the airport was unusable and that aircraft were flying from an airstrip in Zintan.

Given that the Zintan airstrip is not much more than a sandy track, suitably only for light aircraft, that was clearly not true.

The ZOR commander also declared that as a result of the new aircraft, “Misrata will be targeted within hours”.

This is not the first time that such threats have been made.

Meanwhile, an LNA official in Beida yesterday told the Libya Herald that four new Sukhoi jet fighter aircraft had been delivered by the Russians to Tobruk. They were not fully assembled, he said, and it would be several days before they would be used.

Again, there has been no confirmation either from Moscow or the government in Beida.

The aircraft may be the four Su-30MK2s which were part of a $1.6-billion contract signed by the Qaddafi regime at the beginning of 2010. It also included 14 Sukhoi Su-35 fighter planes, 6 Yak-130s and other armaments. Russia lifted its arms embargo on Libya in May 2012.

The two LNA aircraft operating at present out of Wattiya are also Sukhois, but reportedly were provided by the Egyptians. [/restrict]

Tags: Aby KhammashBeidaLibyaLibya DawnLNASukhoiZintan

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Birkah police station re-opens in Benghazi

Birkah police station re-opens in Benghazi

High-profile “liberal” lawyer kidnapped in Tripoli

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.