No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UNSMIL chief Bernardino gives starkest warning yet

byNigel Ash
October 10, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
UNSMIL chief Bernardino gives starkest warning yet

No peace process continuation for Bernardino Leon (File photo)

Libya Herald staff.

 

Bernardino Leon: stark warning
Bernardino Leon: stark warning

Tripoli, 7 October 2014:

Bernardino Leon, the head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya has delivered his bleakest . . .[restrict]assessment yet, warning that ISIS  jihadists are already present in the country and awaiting their opportunity.

“The jihadists are already here,” the UNSMIL chief told Italian newspaper La Repubblica.  “If a real political dialogue does not start in Libya soon, there is only one thing that will be certain: the country will be an open field for Isis”.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

UNSMIL calls for immediate release of political activist Mahdi Abdelati – arrested in Misrata

Bernardino warned that Libyan militiamen who had fought in Syria and Iraq were now back in the country.  “In order to consolidate, they just need the current chaos and lack of political control to continue. Then they will know what to do” he said.

Isis and Al-Qaeda were busy transferring their “brand” to Libya which in turn would promote further radicalisation. He cited groups in Derna and in the south on the border with Algeria which had been involved in the January 2013 attack on the Algerian desert gas-processing plant at In Amenas

Libya, said Bernardino, was a divided country that had emerged for a revolution still fighting. It was not at peace. But it was an important country for Europe and a vital country for Italy.

“Putting an end to this conflict is difficult, “ he explained, “because the protagonists are hundreds of militias without a hierarchical relationship between them.”  He continued that nevertheless, UNSMIL sought to explain to all factions and all militias that they must comply with international law. Otherwise sanctions, included targeted individual sanctions were already in place and would be implemented.

“We are ready to identfy these people, ” said Bernardino “to freeze their assets, current accounts and the houses they own around the word. We are ready to deny them freedom to travel and to include them on the list of those who have violated human rights and can stand accused of being war criminals”.

The UNSMIL chief repeated that were was no military solution to Libya’s crisis.

“Nobody is strong enough to control the country alone, even with strong support from outside. Prolonging the war will only lead to more chaos and we cannot afford that. That is why we are asking all international players not to support the fight, but to support the dialogue, which is the only possible solution”. Bernardino then made a point of praising the “positive role” that Libya’s neighbours were playing in supporting a negotiated settlement.

He said that he did not believe that the current situation in the country was irreversible. “Unity and the territorial integrity of Libya are crucial. Everybody knows that there are historical differences between the east, west and south of the country. But I am convinced that the vast majority of Libyans want unity. And I believe that it is still possible to keep this country together. The main message is that right now, a meaningful dialogue has to begin”. [/restrict]

Tags: Al-QaedaBernardino LeònfeaturedISISjihadistLibyaUNSMILwarning

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post

Six Libyans arrested as "terrorists" in Tunisia

Reporting the facts in an hostile environment

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.