No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libyan cadets quit British army training course after incident

byNigel Ash
September 8, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libyan cadets quit British army training course after incident

UK troops undergoing similar training to the Libyan cadets (Photo: UK MoD)

By Libya Herald reporters.

UK troops undergoing similar training to the Libyan cadets (Photo: UK MoD)
UK troops undergoing similar training to the Libyan cadets (Photo: UK MoD)

Tripoli and London, 8 September 2014:

Some 30 Libyan army cadets training in the UK have left their course . . .[restrict]and returned to Libya after they allegedly freed three colleagues who had been detained for leaving their camp without permission.

The incident occurred last month according to the Daily Mail, which said that a British army corporal had been roughed up before agreeing to release the three Libyan cadets held in the guard house.

The Bassingbourn Barracks in Cambridgeshire in the east of England where the confrontation is supposed to have taken place, received its initial intake of Libyan troops in June. The 300 arrivals are the first of 2,000 cadets that the British are giving six months of basic infantry training. The project is the result of an agreement reached last summer at the G8 meeting  in the UK between the-then premier Ali Zeidan and his British opposite number David Cameron. The cadet are being trained by the 3rd Battalion of the Royal Regiment of Scotland.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Though the Libyans have been taken on escorted visits to neighbouring towns, the British Ministry of Defence is not allowing them to leave the barracks independently. Three Libyans who flouted this restriction were found in Brassingborn village by British army training staff.

They were being held in the guardhouse pending further action when around 20 of their comrades arrived, demanding their release.  According to the Daily Mail, a corporal on duty was involved in a heated and at time violent confrontation before agreeing to release the prisoners to their friends. The British Ministry of Defence said that soldier had face “considerable intimidation”.

It seems likely that  reaction to the arrest of the three cadets was linked to other sources of discontent. One of these is delayed salaries that should be disbursed through the Libyan embassy in London. Some UK colleges and universities are also complaining that fees are not being paid. The Libya Herald understands that one unpaid flight school is on the verge of terminating the teaching and accommodation of its Libyan students and sending them home.

The unrest at the Brassington barracks also came at a time when many of the cadets will have been anxious for their families and friends in Libya as fighting broke out in Tripoli toward the end of Ramadan.  It is unclear if the British sent the cadets home or whether they themselves chose to leave the course.

  [/restrict]

Tags: army cadetsBassingbourncoursefeaturedLibyaquit

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
Young Libyans head to join ISIS in Syria and Iraq

Young Libyans head to join ISIS in Syria and Iraq

Thinni delays presentation of new cabinet: report

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.