No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Western governments tell nationals to leave Libya; Germans and Dutch closing embassies

byMichel Cousins
July 27, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornji.

Tripoli, 27 July 2014:

The governments of France, Germany, The Netherlands, the UK and the USA have told their citizens . . .[restrict]to leave Libya saying that it is too dangerous for them to stay.

“The situation is extremely unpredictable and uncertain,” the German foreign ministry has said. “German nationals are at increased risk of kidnapping and attacks.”

“Given the deteriorating security situation, France requests its nationals to leave Libya” a similar statement today from the French Foreign Ministry said.  It called on French citizens in the country, estimated at around 100, to contact the French embassy for help leaving.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

Zawia Refinery security taken over from militias by Libyan Army

The Dutch authorities likewise issued an “urgent” appeal to its remaining citizens in the country to depart.  The Dutch Foreign Ministry said SMS messages and emails had been sent to those registered with the Dutch embassy.

For their part, the German, Dutch and Austrian embassies are to temporarily close and relocate elsewhere once their citizens have gone.

Yesterday, the US pulled out its staff, largely for practical reasons: the embassy is near the capital’s Airport Road, scene of continuing missile attacks.

Turkey pulled out its staff by road to Tunisia the day before.

Reports that the Italian embassy is also quitting are not true, diplomats have told the Libya Herald. They, as well as the British and French, are staying put for the time being, he said.

European diplomats met today in Tripoli in a regular meeting at which their presence in Tripoli was discussed.  Other smaller European embassies may also temporarily close, the diplomat said.

The main reason for the embassies departing, the diplomat said, was again largely because of practical issues – he cited the power and water cuts and the disruption to internet and telephone services.

However, the dangers of attacks and kidnapping warned by the Germans were fully evident this morning when a British embassy convoy of four vehicles carrying eight people to the Tunisian border was attacked on the road to Zawia.  Three vehicles were hit but no one was injured and the passengers continued on their way. [/restrict]

Tags: FranceGermanyLibyaTripoliUKUSAZawia

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Eid starts tomorrow

Government requests international help to extinguish Brega oil depot fire and tells resident to leave

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.