No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Local News

14 Qaddafi soldiers released in Zawia

byMichel Cousins
February 17, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ashraf Abdul Wahab.

17 February 2014:

Fourteen soldiers, including eight senior officers, who were members of Qaddafi armed . . .[restrict]forces have been freed in Zawia to mark the third anniversary of the revolution. 

They had been held for over two years at the Jazeera Correction and Rehabilitation Institution in the town yesterday morning after the Zawia Military Intelligence Department decided there was no case against them.

The fourteen included a brigadier and seven colonels as well as sergeants and privates. They had been accused of having contributed to the suppression of the 17 February Revolution. 

RELATED POSTS

Zawia Refinery security taken over from militias by Libyan Army

Military operations launched in Zawia and surrounding areas ostensibly to fight crime – and possibly militias too

According to the head of the National Committee of Prisoners Welfare and Prisons Control, investigations had uncovered some minor wrongdoing, but nothing serious and that they certainly had not been involved in any major crimes such as murder. He said that the 14 had been model prisoners, showing good behaviour during their period in prison.

They were not seen as a threat, he added, and as such they were not been named so as to protect their identities and give them the opportunity to prove their good intentions and reintegrate into society.

On Thursday, however, (writes Taziz Hasairi) the release of three members of a local family accused of having fought with Qaddafi forces during the siege of Zawia in 2011 sparked outrage and clashes to the east of the town in which five people were reportedly killed, 15 injured and the road to Tripoli temporarily closed. One of the dead was said to be an elderly man from Sorman shot in the head while driving his vehicle on the Tripoli road.     [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaZawia

Related Posts

Libyan trade delegation participates in 5th French Arab Economic Summit 2024 in Paris, 11-12 December
Local News

Libyan trade delegation participates in 5th French Arab Economic Summit 2024 in Paris, 11-12 December

December 13, 2024
Serraj, Hafter, Saleh and Sewehli invited to mini-summit in Brazzaville in AU push on dialogue: report
Libya

Serraj, Hafter, Saleh and Sewehli invited to mini-summit in Brazzaville in AU push on dialogue: report

September 4, 2017
Libya

Egypt tells Hafter it supports his agreement with Serraj; Gatrani concurs

July 27, 2017
Local News

Armed gang attack jail in Zliten

February 21, 2016
Local News

Two women die of henna poisoning in Marj

October 24, 2015
Local News

Ghat Municipal Council looks to improve services

September 11, 2015
Next Post
Problems ignored, Tripoli celebrates in deafening and spectacular style

Problems ignored, Tripoli celebrates in deafening and spectacular style

My Vision for Libya – No. 1: Dr Guma El-Gamaty, leader of the Taghyeer Party.

My Vision for Libya – No. 1: Dr Guma El-Gamaty, leader of the Taghyeer Party.

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.