No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Football champions home tomorrow – tour to start in Benghazi

bythomwestcott
February 2, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 2 February 2014:

A tour of Libya’s towns and cities by the national football team in celebration of . . .[restrict]winning the African Nations Championship is expected to start tomorrow in Benghazi.

“The original plan was for the team to return to Libya immediately,” spokesperson for the Ministry of Youth and Sports, Mazin Dribeka, told the Libya Herald. “But the players said they wanted a chance to relax and enjoy celebrating their victory in South Africa before coming back to Libya.”

The triumphant team is expected to start their tour of Libya in Benghazi. Sebha was to have been an early point of call for the team, but it is not clear whether security concerns will prevent this.

RELATED POSTS

Atletico Madrid win Benghazi’s Reconstruction Cup after beating Inter Milan 4-3 on penalties – great political showpiece for Hafter

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Congratulating the team on their victory, the Ministry of Youth and Sports thanked the players, local clubs, the Libyan Football Federation and the Libyan people for all their support, said Dribeka. “This win was achieved through teamwork, it came from a joint effort,” he enthused.

“The Ministry has done everything to support the Libyan League,” he added. “We want football to do very well in Libya, so we are working on it step by step.”

The League, from which the players for the Mediterranean Knights were selected by coach Javier Clemente when he took up post in October last year, continues to play its 2013-2014 matches behind closed doors because of security concerns.

Dribeka said he hoped that politicians would start looking at sport from a different perspective and see how winning the cup would contribute to Libya’s bid to host the 2017 African Nations Cup. Libya was originally supposed to host this year’s African Nations Championship but the instability and security concerns led to the competition being held in South Africa instead.

After Libya beat Zimbabwe in the semi-finals, the government pledged LD 800,000 support for the national team, Dribeka said. The hope now was, he added, that after Libya’s victory last night more funding would be forthcoming. This, combined with the LD 750,000 prize money from the competition, would be a great incentive for the encouragement of professional and semi-professional football in Libya. [/restrict]

Tags: African Nations ChampionshipfootballLibyaMinistry of Youth and Sportssport

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

German tool maker Hoffmann looks to Libyan market

Embassies join in euphoria on football win

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.