No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Football champions home tomorrow – tour to start in Benghazi

bythomwestcott
February 2, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 2 February 2014:

A tour of Libya’s towns and cities by the national football team in celebration of . . .[restrict]winning the African Nations Championship is expected to start tomorrow in Benghazi.

“The original plan was for the team to return to Libya immediately,” spokesperson for the Ministry of Youth and Sports, Mazin Dribeka, told the Libya Herald. “But the players said they wanted a chance to relax and enjoy celebrating their victory in South Africa before coming back to Libya.”

The triumphant team is expected to start their tour of Libya in Benghazi. Sebha was to have been an early point of call for the team, but it is not clear whether security concerns will prevent this.

RELATED POSTS

Atletico Madrid win Benghazi’s Reconstruction Cup after beating Inter Milan 4-3 on penalties – great political showpiece for Hafter

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Congratulating the team on their victory, the Ministry of Youth and Sports thanked the players, local clubs, the Libyan Football Federation and the Libyan people for all their support, said Dribeka. “This win was achieved through teamwork, it came from a joint effort,” he enthused.

“The Ministry has done everything to support the Libyan League,” he added. “We want football to do very well in Libya, so we are working on it step by step.”

The League, from which the players for the Mediterranean Knights were selected by coach Javier Clemente when he took up post in October last year, continues to play its 2013-2014 matches behind closed doors because of security concerns.

Dribeka said he hoped that politicians would start looking at sport from a different perspective and see how winning the cup would contribute to Libya’s bid to host the 2017 African Nations Cup. Libya was originally supposed to host this year’s African Nations Championship but the instability and security concerns led to the competition being held in South Africa instead.

After Libya beat Zimbabwe in the semi-finals, the government pledged LD 800,000 support for the national team, Dribeka said. The hope now was, he added, that after Libya’s victory last night more funding would be forthcoming. This, combined with the LD 750,000 prize money from the competition, would be a great incentive for the encouragement of professional and semi-professional football in Libya. [/restrict]

Tags: African Nations ChampionshipfootballLibyaMinistry of Youth and Sportssport

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post

German tool maker Hoffmann looks to Libyan market

Embassies join in euphoria on football win

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.