No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Visa problems see former military commander turned back from Brussels

bythomwestcott
December 21, 2013
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
Visa problems see former military commander turned back from Brussels

Head of the Tripoli Revolutionaries Brigade militias, Haitham Tajouri, is named in a UN report for financial corruption and human rights infringements (Photo: Archives).

By Libya Herald staff.

Haitham Tajouri, who was today detained for five hours in Brussels
Haitham Tajouri, who was today detained for five hours in Brussels

Tripoli, 21 December 2013:

Haitham Tajouri, former military commander of the Support Unit of the Supreme Security Committee (SSC) . . .[restrict]- was today turned back from Brussels because of visa issues.

Tajouri was travelling on a Schengen visa, which permits travel to a group of 26 European countries, when he landed in Belgium. He was detained at the airport because his Schengen visa had been issued by Poland, which meant this had to the first European country he entered, the Libyan Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.

The incident provoked much speculation on the internet, with claims quickly circulating on social media networks that Tajouri had been arrested and was being taken to the US for questioning. These were taken up by some local news sources, forcing the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to deny that he had been abducted by American Intelligence over supposed investigations into armed groups in Libya.

RELATED POSTS

Poland is preparing to reopen its embassy in Tripoli

Experts from Antwerp Port visit Misrata Free Zone to evaluate smart gate systems

The deputy of political affairs at the Ministry, Wafa Bugaigis, told the Libya Herald that reports by different media sources were incorrect. She also stressed that both the Ministry and the charge d’affaires from the Libyan embassy in Brussels had been in constant contact with Tajouri while he was held. Head of the SSC Hashim Bishr confirmed that he was held for five hours.

Tajouri, who recently stood down from his SSC post to join the police, was kidnapped just six days ago and held overnight in Zintan. The incident was described by Bishr as a “misunderstanding.”

It is understood that Tajouri returned to Libya this evening. [/restrict]

Tags: BelgiumHaitham TajouriLibyarumourschengen visaSSCvisa issues

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Border security held back by poor infrastructure - EUBAM head

International Women in Libya meet and share cultures

International Women in Libya meet and share cultures

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.