No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Latest doomed migrant boat was from Zuara

byMichel Cousins
October 12, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Latest doomed migrant boat was from Zuara

Photo: Armed Forces of Malta

By Hadi Fornji.

Armed forces of Malta
Migrants being rescued after their boat sank in Maltese waters (Photo: Armed Forces of Malta)

Tripoli, 12 October 2013:

It has emerged that the boat carrying illegal immigrants that sank between Lampedusa and Malta yesterday . . .[restrict]with the loss of at least 30 lives set out from Libya.

It left from Zuara on Thurday at midnight, the Libya Herald has learned.

All on board were Syrians or Palestinians who had been living in Syria. Unlike most other cases of illegal migrants crossing to Europe, there were no sub-Saharan Africans on board.

RELATED POSTS

Over 3 million migrant workers in Libya do not pay taxes or fair share – this is draining hard currency and lowering standard of living of Libyans

Four gang members detained, pending investigation, for torturing 10 kidnapped migrants to death – 164 others also tortured

So far 23 bodies have been recovered. Four of them were transferred to Malta – a woman, an 11-year-old boy and two infants,  the other bodies to the Italian island of Lampedusa. All the 144 survivors were taken to Malta following yesterday’s Maltese–Italian rescue mission. But the death toll is expected to rise to around 50. There were thought to be at least 200 people on board.

According to a Syrian survivor who spoke to the Chief Journalist of the Times of Malta, Mark Micallef, he and the rest of the boat people made the perilous sea journey because they had no papers and no other way to get to Europe. Some, the man said, had travelled from the Egyptian border through to Zuara and had paid between $3,000-$4,000 for the journey. Others were charged $1,000 in Zuara for the crossing.

According to the Maltese authorities, people used their mobile phones to summon help when boat got into difficulties but it then capsized when they crowded to one side to try an alert a passing plane.

Last week, on 3 October, in one of the worst boat disasters in recent times in the Mediterranean, some 340 illegal Somali and Eritrean migrants perished when their boat capsized off Lampedusa. It too had set sail from Libya ­– from Misrata.

Another boatload of Syrian and Palestinian migrants sank yesterday off the north Egyptian coast. At least 12 people drowned although 116 were rescued by the Egyptian coast guard.

Reacting to yesterday’s sinking in Maltese waters, the country’s Prime Minister Joseph Muscat has said that the Mediterranean was becoming a cemetery and that European leaders should be ashamed at leaving the problem to Italy and Malta to deal with.

No sense of shame has been expressed so far in Libya at its involvement in the smuggling and the tragedies. It is estimated that hundreds of boat illegal migrants leave Libya’s shores for Europe every day, the vast majority of whom in fact make it to Italy or Malta without mishap. So far, next to nothing is being done to stop it.

That may be about to end.  According to one of those on board the Zuara boat, it was shot at as it left the port. He believed the intention was to force it to turn back. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredillegal migrantsLibyaMaltaZuara

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Tarhuna-Bani Walid road reopens

Senussi trial in Libya “new potential” for country’s justice system, says NGO

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.