No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

ICC judges demand Senussi be handed over to them

byNigel Ash
February 21, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
ICC judges demand Senussi be handed over to them

The ICC wants Abdullah Senussi handed over

 

The ICC wants Abdullah Senussi tried in the Hague

Tripoli, 7 February 2013:

The Libyan prosecutor-general’s office has described as  “standard procedure” the ruling from the International Criminal Court that Abdullah . . .[restrict]Senussi, be handed over to it, to face charges of crimes against humanity.

Yet the ruling from the pre-trial chamber of the ICC in the Hague, made on Wednesday, but only published today, appears brutally clear. It read that the ICC “orders the Libyan authorities to proceed to the immediate surrender of Mr Senussi to the court.”  It also said: “Libya remains under an obligation to comply with the surrender request.”

Taha Bara, a spokesman for the prosecutor-general, was reported by AFP to have described the court’s demand as “standard procedure”. He pointed out that Libya had filed a request on 23 January, that Senussi’s trial be held in Libya. “Therefore we have eight weeks from that date to complete the file and submit the necessary documentation”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Bara also pointed out that even if the court refused to sanction a Libyan trial for Qaddafi’s brother-in-law and former intelligence chief, the decision could be appealed.

The British lawyer appointed by the ICC to defend Senussi, human rights campaigner Ben Emmerson QC, said after the ruling: “The ICC has ordered an immediate halt to Libya’s unseemly rush to drag Mr. Al-Senussi to the gallows before the law has taken its course.” The Hague judges also ordered Libya to give Emmerson access to his client, which has so far been denied.

Senussi was extradited from Mauritania last September in a deal which was widely rumoured to have involved the payment of $200 million by Libya. Ever since Senussi’s arrest on his return to Libya, the authorities here have insisted that he should face a Libyan court to answer charges of mass-killing and other gross violations of human rights.

Libya’s National Council for Public Liberties and Human Rights this evening said that it was its view that the country’s position on preventing the extradition of its citizens to the ICC is in accordance with the Libyan law.

If Libya is not successful in its appeal against the ICC’s ruling on Senussi, then the stage would seem to be set for a showdown between the ten-year old court and the Libyan government. If the former spy chief is not handed over, then the court can refer the matter to the UN Security Council.

If the UN body chooses to, and that it is a moot point whether agreement could be reached among permanent members with a veto, it has only two punitive measures open to it, according to London lawyer Robert Murtfeld, who is making a close study of the ICC. One would be sanctions and the other would be Chapter VII military intervention, neither of which seems in the least likely.

  [/restrict]

Tags: ICCLibyaSenussi Emmersontrial

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Sirte military commander "arrested" by brigade: report

Tobruk arms smugglers escape

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.