No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

BP reconsidering its return to Libya

byNigel Ash
January 28, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
BP reconsidering its return to Libya

By Hadi Fornaji.

Tripoli, 27 January 2013:

BP has confirmed that . . .[restrict]it is reconsidering its decision this Spring to resume its exploration programme in Libya  The move comes in the wake of the attack on the Tigantourine  gas plant near In Amenas in Algeria earlier this month, in which 36 oil workers were killed, including a number of BP employees.

At the end of last May, BP announced that had reached an agreement with the National Oil Company and was resuming its exploration in Libya. The news came only a day after Shell said it was suspending its Libyan operations and paying off its local staff. One reason Shell gave for withdrawing was concerns over security.

RELATED POSTS

BP to reopen office in Libya, Shell discusses prospects for cooperation in oil field development‎

Aldabaiba and Menfi stress use of polling feedback to establish consensus basis for constitutional process: report and analysis

BP had hesitated for some months about picking up its exploration programme under a $900 million deal signed in 2009, which was suspended at the start of the revolution.

Until February 2011, BP had shot 3D seismic over offshore blocks in the Sirte Basin and onshore in the Ghadames basin, covering an area of 31,000 square kilometres. Its original Exploration and Production Sharing Agreement (EPSA) contract with NOC, signed in December 2007, included a commitment for five offshore and 12 onshore wells.

The deal struck with NOC  in May, included a provision that BP would be compensated for losses after it had declared Force Majeure 16 months earlier.

At the signing ceremony with NOC chairman Nuri Berruien,  BP’s Executive Vice-President for Exploration, Dr Michael Daly declared the Force Majeure lifting as a significant milestone for his company in Libya. He went on to say:  “We look forward to working with the NOC and our partners in the Libyan Investment Authority, to safely implement our drilling programme.”

It is concerns over that safety that are clearly now causing BP to review its decision. Drilling is not actually due to resume until this September. During the Algerian attack, the UK oil firm told Libya Herald, that it was reviewing its security in Libya but at present, still had very few expatriates on the ground here.

BP’s second thoughts may also have been influenced by the UK government’s urgent advice last Thursday, that all British citizens should quit Benghazi immediately, because of an imminent threat, and that no one should go to Libya except on essential business. London’s warning echoed a 6 January travel advisory from Washington for US citizens and has since been followed by Canada, Germany and the Netherlands. These moves have caused some anger and much frustration within the Zeidan government.

  [/restrict]

Tags: BPdrillingLibyasecurityShellUK warning

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Libyan-Tunisian border open again

Misrata clamps down: weapons ban

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.